1. Mtnmd1

2. Brett and Megan

Brett and Megan

3. wormfarmer

wormfarmer

• A great reunion in Prescott, AZ, with friends George and Jim, both who appreciate great wine. I did not take notes. The wine was big with intense and rich fruit. It went well with pork tenderloin cooked by George and some of the best brussel sprouts I've ever tasted, cooked by Jim and George.. Blackberry, black currant, tar, black pepper and hints of licorice. The wine is drinking well now.

• Sentimentality here, as well as peer pressure to let some of my bottles age, this prompted me to go what is nearly 4 years between bottles. This was my last 2007 and I remain fond of the vintage so I had assumed, and based on my prior note from 2011, that this wine would have the stay power to go this long, arguably longer. I opened this about 90 mins ago, let it breathe, which helped it fill in the fruit and texture. Classic Rosella's. Citrus, tar, dark plum and blackberry and teriyaki/jerky. The fruit is terrific here, tasting more opulent which for me is the vintage expression, yet there is acidity, also what for me is the 2007 vintage. Plenty of body here but not thick. After about 3 hours, this is a beauty. Dark, full of citrus and flush with fruit, some graphite, tar, dark chocolate. And then with one more day of slow ox, not much change but to say this is pretty well stuffed with color, flavor and depth. No fade in this yet, however this is a fruit centric wine that continues to carry acidity so my advice would be to open this now. I simply don't think aging this style and vintage of wine is going to improve it. It's there now, catch it while it all works. Delicious.

• I hate to use terms like varietally correct because many geeks argue that no California wines are varietally correct, but this one is reasonably close, and it has been consistent since purchase in about 4 years ago. I originally tasted this with Adam Lee and Sadat X at Tribeca Grill. I really enjoyed the pepper spice and the somewhat in your face fruit, so I ordered a case. The pepper spice has definitely stood up to time, hence my comment about varietally correct, and the fruit is a bit subdued at this point. My experience with Rosellas Vineyard wines is that they always have a nice spicy component to them - to a greater or lesser degree based, I suppose, on what the winemaker does. This is on the high side and I like the spice. I have enjoyed every bottle. 14.2% ABV.

• The last bottle, and what a glorious final leg of the six-legged relay we've run these past 4-5 years. This is drinking wonderfully now: everything's integrated. What's neat about where this wine is now is the gradient between where it starts and where it finishes, especially in terms of palate weight. In terms of flavor, it starts with blackberries and and some meat fat, maybe a bit of plum. The finish, at least an hour or two in, is almost pinot-weight, and moves the wine from brooding, bruised black fruit to something both more floral and more cocoa-ey.

I wish I had more to see if this sense of it held true!

• Excellent fruit right now. Suspect it will start to deflate in the years going forward.

The Rhone Report

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    3/6/2010, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 92 points

(Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella's Vineyard) Opaque red violet color; nice black fruit, pepper nose; nice tart black fruit, pepper, mineral palate with depth; medium-plus finish 92+ pts.
  • By Richard Jennings
    8/10/2009, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 91 points

(Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella's Vineyard) Group's #2 (my #4) – 78 pts; 3, 2, 2, 0 - very dark red violet color; nice, big, black fruit, anise, spice nose; tasty, black fruit, spice, anise, blackberry palate with depth; medium-plus finish

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and RJonWine.com.