1. Mtnmd1

2. Brett and Megan

Brett and Megan

3. wormfarmer

wormfarmer

• I hate to use terms like varietally correct because many geeks argue that no California wines are varietally correct, but this one is reasonably close, and it has been consistent since purchase in about 4 years ago. I originally tasted this with Adam Lee and Sadat X at Tribeca Grill. I really enjoyed the pepper spice and the somewhat in your face fruit, so I ordered a case. The pepper spice has definitely stood up to time, hence my comment about varietally correct, and the fruit is a bit subdued at this point. My experience with Rosellas Vineyard wines is that they always have a nice spicy component to them - to a greater or lesser degree based, I suppose, on what the winemaker does. This is on the high side and I like the spice. I have enjoyed every bottle. 14.2% ABV.

• The last bottle, and what a glorious final leg of the six-legged relay we've run these past 4-5 years. This is drinking wonderfully now: everything's integrated. What's neat about where this wine is now is the gradient between where it starts and where it finishes, especially in terms of palate weight. In terms of flavor, it starts with blackberries and and some meat fat, maybe a bit of plum. The finish, at least an hour or two in, is almost pinot-weight, and moves the wine from brooding, bruised black fruit to something both more floral and more cocoa-ey.

I wish I had more to see if this sense of it held true!

• Excellent fruit right now. Suspect it will start to deflate in the years going forward.

• My last note was 3 years ago when I rated this a 92. I'd say time to drink up. More than acceptable to the non-Geek crowd, but less than acceptable to me.

• aroma - pine, cedar, floral, blackberry, espresso, tannin is a bit funky; taste - coffee, jam, hot in mid-palate, fungus, raisin; deep black color already, still needs some more time - 5 more years

The Rhone Report

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    3/6/2010, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 92 points

(Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella's Vineyard) Opaque red violet color; nice black fruit, pepper nose; nice tart black fruit, pepper, mineral palate with depth; medium-plus finish 92+ pts.
  • By Richard Jennings
    8/10/2009, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 91 points

(Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella's Vineyard) Group's #2 (my #4) – 78 pts; 3, 2, 2, 0 - very dark red violet color; nice, big, black fruit, anise, spice nose; tasty, black fruit, spice, anise, blackberry palate with depth; medium-plus finish

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and RJonWine.com.