1. IJC

2. cns

• I am not sure why Failla likes calling this a Burgundian style pinot. It is not. But, it is a delicious bottle of wine, unmistakeably pinot, and equally unmistakeably Californian. There are lots of red, dark, and mixed berry flavors - no doubt the result of the blending of the 3 separate vineyards. The nose is pretty - but very little of the earth, nor of the complexities one might find in a MSD or a Gevrey. I suspect there is additional potential from aging in the bottle, but I doubt it will never evolve into something complex or mysterious. It isn't inexpensive, but I like this wine.
    Rated 1 on a scale of -1 to 3.

• First impression: great nose. Red trending to black fruit. Red currants, light smoke, fresh violets. I wrote down "herbs in a passing breeze." Not as intriguing in the mouth as on the nose; although there's good balance overall, what stayed with me most of all was the vanilla-tinged oaky sweetness on the finish. This is quite an expensive bottle and I don't think the quality justifies the price. Rated 1 on a scale of -1 to 3.