1. SpoochMan

2. flussier

flussier

3. ianwesley

ianwesley

• A little funky at first from a PNP, evolved nicely in the glass showing ripe black & blue fruit, rich and concentrated with hints of chocolate and spice, tannins are fully integrated but there is a enough acidity to carry this LS for several more years. No perceivable heat detected from this bottle!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• I guess it has only been three years, but I am surprised how consistent my impressions of this wine are, especially given that I had no recollection of the note I wrote back in 2012 until I looked at it here.

At the time I wrote: This is very good for what it is. Heady nose with spice, bramble, and loads of dark fruit on the palate. Impressive, but I think this will convince me that I no longer really enjoy American Zin. This wan't jammy at all and the tannins are integrating nicely, but it was still tiring to drink. These days, I'm happier with a bottle of Fatalone Gioia delle Colle primitivo than I am with this.

I'd probably self edit the comment on U.S. Zin this time around, but not because my tastes have changed any. I found this surprisingly soft, lacking in tannin, and pretty hot. I have nothing but respect for Ridge, but tiring to drink is still the way I would describe this. Maybe I just don't understand Zin's aging curve, but I can't see holding on to my last bottle for very long.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• The wife and I took a break from our Italian wine binge to try something from CA for a change. This was a nice bottle. It was just a touch disjointed at first, but smoothed out some with 30+ minutes of air. Overall, this is well-made wine. The Petit Verdot really comes through as others have noted. Nice fruit and body with some subtle spice notes. I would have liked a bit more acidity but I would not say it was flabby (although it was compared to most Italian wines). First night we had this along with pesto pasta and grilled chicken/vegetables. The wine was too big for that meal and overpowered it. Second night, we had this with burgers on the grill and that was a nice match. Overall, this is drinking pretty well now but will probably improve a bit over the next 3-4 years. Will probably hold off on my other 2 bottles for awhile.

• Très beau vin avec un nez très charmeur. Rond, bien balancé, bonne complexité avec des aromes de petit fruit rouge, épice, chocolat, réglisse, fumé et boisé. Une fois décanter 1-2h, les tannins s'assouplisse et il se boit très bien. Parfait pour accompagner la viande.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Perfectly balanced. Great with prime rib, mac n cheese dinner. Nice smokey savory texture. Restrained fruit and beautiful finish.

The Rhone Report

• By Josh Raynolds
    November/December 2011, IWC Issue #159, (See more on Vinous...)

(Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Lytton Springs Dry Creek Valley) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    Exploring California's Central Coast (Aug 2011), (See more on Vinous...)

(Ridge Lytton Springs Dry Creek Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    5/19/2012, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 90 points

(Ridge Lytton Springs) Dark red violet color; light raspberry, ripe currant, black currant nose; tasty, youthful, tart black currant, loam palate with medium acidity; needs 4-plus years; medium-plus finish (71% Zinfandel, 23% Petite Sirah, 6% Carignane; 14.5% alcohol)

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and Vinous and RJonWine.com.