1. wadesh

2. odds

3. The King

The King

• Around a year after my last tasting and similar notes as before. Solid red fruit up-front but somewhat tart and a little sweet cherry instead of the darker fruit that I prefer. Smooth mid-palate but not much depth. Decent finish. Popped and poured but drank out of a decanter for around three hours. Improved a little with time.

• Certainly superior to the '11 Rockaway I had before, but my preference remains with the Brothers Ridge one. It is more fruit front with the berries (maybe even a bit sweet). Nice finish. I would not mind drinking it at all, but again, to each their own :-) I'd gladly open it to friends and taste abit again.
    I think those who enjoy more 'soft' on the palate, and somewhat less 'bold' wine, would find the '10 rockaway perfect (I think on the tasting line everyone who picked the '10 Rockaway and I asked them for the reasoning gave that explanation).
    Overall, current CT rating is a very good reflection (~92)

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• This wine didn't show well tonight and it's definitely not because it's DONE, but it was just very restained and had a very thin presentation. Uncorked to a very lovely gingerbread cookie and blackberry and baking spice on both the very dark stained cork and on the nose. Poured a deep maroon into the glass. Decanted about an hour and served over an hour. Nose was actually the nicest part of this wine. Upon the entry, it was flat. Fruit seemed to be there, but not as punchy. A little while back I was thrilled to enjoy a 2006 of this wine, and it was 1000% more dense and complex than this was. It wasn't corked. It still had a nice middle, a good finish, but was just subdued. I really wish I had another few of these so that I could open another one next year, and then the year after that. No such is luck. Seemed to get perhaps a bit more interesting towards the second hour but was still a little underwhelming. I am not going to lie, I am a little disappointed in this wine tonight, but reserve a rating as I think (compared to library vintages) that this one is just in a strange place. Drink with caution at present, or decant 3+ hours (perhaps that's what this one needs is a ton of air at present).

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (2)

• PNP. Started slowly but developed nicely over 2 hours. Excellent.

• Dark crimson in color. Black currant and blackberry notes in the nose. Flavors of black currant and plum mixed with mocha and oak. Mouth coating with fine tannins. Really nice.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (2)

• By Antonio Galloni
    Sonoma...A Thrill a Minute (Jul 2013), (See more on Vinous...)

(Rodney Strong Cabernet Sauvignon Rockaway Alexander Valley) Subscribe to see review text.