1. startedwithasmile

startedwithasmile

• Was a bit disappointed with this wine, and glad I only paid $35 rather than the closer to $60 price I see many places. It seemed a little generic in character, though with air some nuances did begin to show through. Not all that concentrated or long, and a shame as I had heard such nice things about this estate. Also expected more depth from the dry-farmed, fairly old vines in this site. Too young? Oh well – still enjoyable just not distinctive.

• I was not loving this wine as I drank it, but as I try to describe it, I believe it's a question of style. The wine is big, the flavors are intense, no subtlety or finesse, and it's high alcohol. But the flavors are those of Chardonnay, not oak, and the balance of fruit and minerality and acidity is good, though heavy. It needs to be drunk chilled; as it warms, it loses its edge.

Rated 0 on a scale of -1 to 3.

• This is a very fruit forward, creamy, buttery, and lush Chardonnay. I found this to be one-dimensional, with no minerality and more importantly no acid of which to speak. Unmistakably New World, which isn't a bad thing unless it isn't your cup of tea, as is the case with me. I like Failla's reds (for the most part) but have never been able to get into their whites and this is no exception. Pleasant enough to drink but I wouldn't seek it out. Rated 0 on a scale of -1 to 3.

• By Antonio Galloni
    Sonoma and Beyond: New Releases (Feb 2014), (See more on Vinous...)

(Failla Chardonnay Chuy Sonoma Valley) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    Sonoma...A Thrill a Minute (Jul 2013), (See more on Vinous...)

(Failla Chardonnay Chuy Vineyard Sonoma Valley) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2013, IWC Issue #168, (See more on Vinous...)

(Failla Chardonnay Chuy Vineyard Sonoma Valley) Subscribe to see review text.