• Huge wine - Pinot on HGH. This is not for the Pinot faint of heart. Black fruits, funk, and almost a bit hot. Recommend serving this on the cool side (cellar temp) to keep it bright. Sorry to see this vineyard move to Jadot. Peter worked some magic here over the years

• From a 375. I let this air over night after unscrewing the cap. Its young and with 24 hours of air, this is just beginning to show its stuff. Cherries, some earthy funk, and some minty/herbal notes. Complex and layered. Luscious texture. Gorgeous Pinot. Last vintage for this as Jadot bought the vineyard. I will be curious to see what they do with it.

• PHMG WAG: 2012 Oregon Pinot Noir (Lyon Den): Finally a Pinot for Zin lovers! 2003 was the OPN vintage for Syrah lovers, now this... Briary blackberry, black cherry, and spice/vanilla on a jammy texture (significant glycerin). Fun but not for everyone (especially "purists") and probably be hard to guess blind. Use your zin window for this one: 3-5 years.

• 3 Big-A** Delicious wine: Saxum, Carlisle, Sineann: Great showing, even better than a prior bottle. This from a screwcapped 375. This is huge and very fruit forward at this stage. I can imagine this being divisive to some. Not to me. Purple in color with a ruby tinge to it. Lots of cherries and dark cherries on the nose. There is also a floral note. On the palate, this is lush and deep and all about the fruit. Nothing candied or cough medicine but lots of cherry, and dark cherry fruit. Great texture and balance. Just delicious. I imagine that those who find this sort of Pinot offensive will love this one in about 20 years and it certainly has the good to last that long IMO.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• 2002 Oregon Pinot Retro + Port/Madeira (JV's): I opened this at the end as I knew some of those in attendance really liked big young wines. This is one of the bigger Pinots in Oregon and 14.8% alc. For some that might be an issue, not for me. I know some complain about how big these Pinots are, but I have heard that going back to the 99's and they age out beautifully. If you like them big, drink them young otherwise, let them age for a decade. This one is purple/ruby in color. The nose is dark cherries, cherries and some spice. Full bodied. On the palate, there are cherries. Very primary although a lush texture.

This is the last year for Sineann here as Jadot has bought the vineyard. I am sorry to see it go as it has always been my favorite in the Sineann lineup. Ironic that Peter's push for quality at the vineyard eventually lost him the fruit. Disclaimer- I have been friends with the owner of Sineann, Peter Rosback, since our college days at Purdue in the mid-70's.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment