1. djhombre

djhombre

• The oldest Kosta Browne I have drunk. Kind of sumptuous, with deep dark black cherry tones with hints of cola. No heat at all, and this wine has retained its rich color without looking at all diluted. Hints of candied orange or pomegranate give the wine a slightly tangy finish, which just doesn't want to end. This is in its window and not getting better, imho. Still lovely, but I'd drink 'em if I got 'em.

• Excellent

• Who says Kosta Browne pinots don't age well. If I was asked to describe this wine in one word I would say "Velvet". No rush to drink remaining bottle. A monumental effort.

• Tasted briefly at an offline. This was showing quite similar to a Kosta Browne '04 Cohn vineyard tasted alongside with tangy black cherry fruit. Medium bodied. Classy Cali Pinot.

• Now finishing its 7th year, it is a treat to sample a KB with this kind of age. Not too many around these days. First, the color had slight bricking on the edge, but still a vibrant reddish purple and very much on the lighter side compared with later versions of this cuvee. The fruit was much more subdued on the nose giving way to a dusty rose, clove, wet forest floor, and then a very precise dose of strawberry, cherry cola, and toasted vanilla oak flavors. Not a hard edge anywhere. Light body, but complex finish. As is often seen in early KB stuff, bordering on hot (don't know what the alcohol was but must be around 15%). The fact is I think this wine has evolved beautifully, is drinking beautifully, and has several good years ahead of it. Stylistically more old world for sure. This was from my cellar. Drank with Mike Farwell of Noir Food and Wine in Pasadena CA, who graciously pulled a 2005 AP Vin Turner from his stock to share with myself and my date. I am nuts for Andrew's Turner (and my date).....

PinotReport

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    11/18/2007, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 93 points

(Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Kanzler Vineyard) Bright light red color; nice ripe Pinot nose; tasty Pinot with fleetness and good acidity; medium-plus finish

NOTE: Some content is property of PinotReport and RJonWine.com.