• Double decanted off its sediment and served a couple of hours later. Cherry and spice notes with just a subtle earthy undertone. There's a good bit of spice on the palate but I think the fruit is lacking.

• Dark garnet color with no bricking at all. Cherries and raspberries in the nose. On the palate, concentrated black cherry, raspberries, blackberries, mushrooms, and a little iron. Superb mouth-feel, great balance, and wonderful finish. Still one of my top 5 Oregon Pinots ever.

• My last tasting was more than two years ago, Gary came into town for dinner and so we figured we might try another bottle of the 93. My previous tasting was good, but one surpassed the previous bottle by some margin. Although clearly an old DDO, it somehow worked and proved entirely enjoyable. After an hour, a green, twig, edgy component started to predominate, so the first hour was clearly better. Still, we’re now at 15 years for this wine, where most of the 94 Oregon Pinots fell apart ten years ago. I’ve long stopped buying OR pinots for price and quality reasons, but DDO is still one winery that I’ll pick up a bottle on occasion.

• Gary Roshak came over for dinner on a trip from Seattle. We were combing through the cellar looking for wines to open when I commented how I had too many bottle of DDO and pulled out a 93 Laurene. Gary thought the 93 was one of the best bottles DDO produced. Okay, lets see if that’s true. I’ve had some mediocre experiences with older DDO’s, they age as well as I would have hoped. The 93, however, is a live! Expressive nose of old cherry fruit, zesty green pepper and a clear green vegetal hint. I could have done with the vegetal component, but this DDO drank well. Full in the mouth with a medium length finish. We opened it thirty minutes before serving and it was going strong four hours later when I still cleaning up after dinner. There is still fruit, but the green pepper element predominated the nose. Still, after 13 years, this is clearly not all that bad!!

• We drank two bottles with dinner. The first bottle had some heat exposure issues, wine pushed along the cork, but revealed dried berries, some mild tannins, and licorice. Altogether a pleasant bottle. The second bottle was awesome! Gorgeous bouquet of cherries, raspberries, no tannins, a hint of mint and pepper but a terrific wine but one probably at its prime. The rating above is for the second bottle.

NOTE: Some content is property of