1. whwino5347

1 Tasting Note

2. odds

3. christopher marlowe

christopher marlo…

• Okay, the results from the previous night were sufficiently confusing that a decision was made to test the bottle again. Coravin'd one glass @ 8:00, a slight PnP and tested over three hours or so.
    I think it reached a peak around 90 minutes of decanting, On that point it had great taste on palate, lots of earthy notes that did not overdominate the palate, and kept space for the fruit. That said, it did not hold as strong and as long into the third hour+. I agree with other tasters that the nose is certainly evolved, and so are secondary notes. But, imho it is somewhat in a decline stage.

Summary: At 90 minutes or so 91+.
    It is possible that it is a bottle variation (especially after two decades in a bottle). If you have a bottle that you've personally stored since release and can 'trust' I would say it's worth checking. My second bottle though I know its previous storage conditions was not stored by us all the years.

(Coravin, ~1 glass to share. To date, ~2 glasses from the bottle)

• It was nice, but it did not reach the bar set by the Corra '04. I should have looked into the previous notes I wrote" The nose was more balance (notably) the second night. Indeed the following morning the nose was much better. The finish was bitter compared with ACV '90, and compared with the Corra '04 (abit on the stronger bitter side, imho). Now that I had a chance to revisit it twice a year apart, I would say-- it needs more decanting, but I do not think it would need more time , aka- I am not certain it would improve with additional time. I would still recommend it , but I would suggest finishing them (maybe over the peak). It is somewhat surprising (As the '90 still feels like it has some time ahead)

(From coravin, ~1 glass shared)

• We drank this one over two nights in comparison to the '90 ACV. The nose was more balance (notably) the second night. My surprise is that the '93 ACV did not perform as well as the '90 one (given the recent reviews). Detailed notes will follow (overall on second night we ranked it at ~90-91 and the '90 at 91-92). IMHO, still needs something (time/decanting, or both). Recommended but I'd open an older vintage first

• Fairly evolved on the nose, secondary notes suggesting age and perhaps the early stages of decline. Thankfully, that's not the case. On the palate, very much alive, if fully resolved. A bit of minerals / Dentyne highlight the flavor profile and give the wine an unusual complexity. Great balance between fruit and acidity. Tannins have faded to a large degree, though some fine / faint expression is still present. Long finish.

I've had this a number of times before, and while I liked it, I didn't love it to this degree. Another example of "right bottle, right time".

• The wine looks garnet colored. The legs are medium. There is moderate sediment in the bottle. It smells like red currant. It tastes like red currant and black currant (cassis). The body is medium. The wine has smooth texture. The wine finishes medium. The wine has low acidity.