1. odds

odds

2. dkings

dkings

• Corked. Not overwhelmingly so, but enough to spoil the wine. Too bad, seemed to have great potential from the clarity and mouth feel.

• I must have had a truly good bottle, or a palate of a yak ;-) but, I opened one, PnP, and it was so enjoyable. Yes, the finish is shorter than other ACV's I had before, but I would not say its past prime.

Back to the beginning: I read the notes on '90 ACV and decided the only was to assert the condition of the bottles is to open one. Cork- almost perfect condition (maybe among the best I saw for 20+ years CA cabs). Still has some of the fruit and 'signature line' of ACV. The finish is shorter than the '06 and so is the palate, but I would not say it goes 'down'. It certainly though is not as impressive as the '93 (per the notes, I have one in the cellar that I'd need to open and compare). I enjoy the integration of the earthy tastes of the wine with the fruit. It is not a full nose as other ACV's but it certainly one that is still enjoyable. That said, some of the younger ACV's are more enjoyable (e.g. I had the '06 recently and we finished it in one night because it was so wonderful), and I saw other early 90's CA cabs holding better, but actually- not too many held better.
    So- for collectors, there is still value in holding. For ppl who simply enjoy good wine, drink and enjoy. And share. I would give it score above the current CT avg (which is at the time the notes is written 89.5, I'd probably would have said 91-92, but I begin hating this 100 pts scale ranking system.)

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• Past its prime and should be consumed now. Still an enjoyable wine but the fruit is all but gone. Wish I had a time machine because what was left hints of a fantastic wine in its prime.

• A nice surprise from a friend from a Magnum. I think the Magnum made all the difference, as I had some 750s that were not drinking well five years ago. This was the dinner wine and it worked very well with the grilled steaks. Still some fruit left as well as some very interesting secondary notes: tobacco, old leather, lead pencil. A few others noted mint.

• From a magnum, decanted for a short period of time. Very mature but some fruit left. It was fairly one dimensional.