1. wineholder

bblack1

3. WestJohnson

WestJohnson

• Great from the start

• Full body red the 2004 was def at the drink age.

• 4th Saturday group "uptown" tasting (Our house): Dark color. Opens with grapey black fruit, blackberry syrup and currant aromas...a lot of black fruit in the bouquet. Full-bodied and slightly firm but very well-balanced. Flavors of black fruit and peppery spice. Develops a nice floral note as it opens. Reminds me of a Cab/Syrah blend. 92+ pts.

Well I was surprised when this ended up as the first wine since I intended for it to get a little more air and end up somewhere in the second flight. This was double decanted off its sediment about four hours before this flight was poured. Hold until 2018 if not longer.

• Excellent as usual. Cassis, and blackberry fruit initially but very balanced overall. Decanted for 15 minutes then left in decanter. The wine stayed excellent for over 2 hours. I then re-corked and put in the refrigerator. I was unable to get to it again for 3 days and I thought it would be ruined when I tasted it again. It was past its prime but not undrinkable at all. Amazing!

• Thank Goodness there are members out there like MR T and DREAM, it reminds me that I do have a brain that is functioning, relatively speaking. Dream says the wine's nose is "gorgeous" and the "smell and taste… is Grand Cru", then goes on to suggest this wine doesn't pair well with food, such as "filet mignon", then further blames things on the vintage. Lord help us, I'm at a loss for words here, but I'll do my best. Dream, just so you know, there is nothing more difficult to pair with massive, rich, extracted cali cabs, than food. Yes, these wines typically do well with BIG red meats, or barbecue, big stinky cheeses, etc., but rarely with filet mignon (unless smothered in some big wine reduction) due to the fact that filet mignon is NOT a fatty, rich cut of beef, it typically doesn't stand a chance with a rich cali cab like SHS. Food needs acidity, low alcohol, which is opposite of your classic massive cali cab. Then to say "what a waste of an amazing terroir"?, Good Lord (again), I'm not sure how to even respond to such a statement. Terroir? Napa? What in the world type of terroir are you suggesting? SHS is CLASSIC Napa terroir. SHS is what you get my friend, unless Elias (wine maker) has simply missed his calling and has no idea what he's doing at Shafer, which I guess is possible (but I don't think so). BTW, flavors such as chocolate, vanilla, etc., are typically a result of time in (and composition of) oak barrels, and doesn't have much to do with the flavor profile of Cabernet. Mr. T, I have NO idea what you are saying, period. "slow oxen for a few hours and then to club". hmmmm. And, they cheat using RS (I assume residual sugar!?). hmmmmm, again…. wow. I'll propose, anyone that wants to compare a cali cab to a french grand cru should be willing to spend time in the penalty box, say, 10 years or so. Sorry.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (1)

View From the Cellar

JancisRobinson.com

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2007, IWC Issue #132, (See more on Vinous...)

(Shafer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select Stags Leap District) Subscribe to see review text.

NOTE: Some content is property of View From the Cellar and JancisRobinson.com and Vinous.