Community Tasting Notes (6) Median Score: 85 points

• Cleaning out some of the older wines in my cellar that I worry about whether they are still drinkable. This Lanessan was drinkable and then some! Classic Bordeaux flavors - still a beautiful color, nice fruit, lots of graphite, and cassis. Wonderful nose. I didn't decant it because 1983 was a rather light and floral vintage and I feared that decanting would send it over the hill, as has been my experience with '83's before. However, given the amount of sediment in this bottle, a quick decant before drinking would have been a good idea

I'm writing as much as I am because I think "Zweder" rated this wine (that I paid $8.99 a bottle in 1986) way to low. I may never have had a price-value ratio any greater than this bottle. Since most '83 Lanessan has disappeared, I doubt that my attempt to rehabilitate this wine will do much good, but if you've still got it and you've cellared it well, you'll like this wine.

• 1983 Cabernet Retrospective, Part 2 (Tasted Blind) (Tom's house in Palo Alto, California): Dark red color (with lots of sediments). Earthy nose (B++). Tasty palate. Still a decent amount of fruit left. Well integrated (B++).
    My #3, Group's #4 (68 pts). Tasted blind.

• Nice glass of wine. Not extremely complex, but certainly good. See my previous notes. It is fully mature. With a price of about $ 10 this was a quite expensive wine at the time and compared to the prices of other wines. (So not a good p/q then) I believe the p/q ratio has changed for the better the last years (after 2000)

• Ok wine. Completely mature now. There is some fruit and fresh acidity left. The complexity however disappeared. I expected more.

• Tasted at a retailers tasting. The bouquet was very fruity; like primary Beaujolais (cherry) fruit. (And then the score goes down on the bouquet part.) In the mouth there is sticky tannin, some cassis, oak and fresh acidity. The wine is definitely ok, but not great.