1. scott w

2. Dutradan

Dutradan

3. gbherbert

gbherbert

• It's release day so I thought I would pop one and i'm glad I did. Dark fruit blackberry, blueberry with meaty olives. Good balance of acid, bright and delicious.

• Lush fruity Syrah . Softer edges.

• I waited a couple years between bottles, with the last being in 2013. Opened this bottle last night, as I wanted something from the cellar that was a bit more fruit centric, plusher--so, go with the Papa's as this consistently delivers. Here is the thing for me with Mike's syrahs, what I like about them. They give me fruit with plusher textures. And yet, they have edges. Let's use this Papa's to make my point. First off, dark color, mainly a maroonish purple. There is the Carlisle texture, where there is a gentle, full palate presentation, not of the leaner side of things. This is labeled at 15.9% abv, and yet there is no booze nor distraction within the aromatic. And I wonder if the abv is lower, as I don't feel bonked the head after a glass, FWIW. And to the point about having edges, this wine exhibits the imprint of whole cluster--garrigue, cooked meat, steak sauce, pepper, yet wrapped around all that is the plusher, dark raspberry and blackberry fruit. Oh, and there's acidity too. This ain't flabby or unbalanced, as there is a lively zing that sits in the finish of the wine, along with good structure. All in, this is just great CA syrah. I'm really lasered down to just a few syrah producers, and really mostly the fragile palate stuff that lies in the low abv spectrum of things. However, with Mike's syrahs, with the Papa's, Rosella's and the AVA cuvees, these remain on my purchase list. Mike's syrahs provide a great counterpoint to Copain and Wind Gap, more like the Riverain syrahs, and all of them fit on my short list for syrah I buy now and enjoy. Love this 2010 Papa's.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Large & dark. Full of glossy fruit, this was delicious but felt a bit boozy.

• Dinner with Friends (Edwin's/Our Backyard by the Fire): I know this was young, but that's how my wife loves her wines. It turned out everyone else did too. Pop and pour, this showed great from the get go and kept improving until it was drained a short time later. Purple in color. The nose has black olives, black raspberries, black pepper and slight grilled meats. Great juicy, lush texture. Very easy to drink. Great with our food.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• By Antonio Galloni
    Sonoma...A Thrill a Minute (Jul 2013), (See more on Vinous...)

(Carlisle Syrah Papa's Block Russian River Valley) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2012, IWC Issue #162, (See more on Vinous...)

(Carlisle Winery Syrah Papa's Block Russian River Valley) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    The Best of Sonoma (Feb 2012), (See more on Vinous...)