• not so good of a bottle, very light, high alcohol burn

• Ruby-garnet core fading to thin root beer at the rim, nice depth of color. Caramel and horsey nose. The palate shows its alcohol but is not spoilt by it, despite a general lack of material here. This bottle is showing mostly tawny, but not heavy or unpleasantly oxidized, and is really quite fine sipping because of its excellent balance. A much better showing than I was expecting based on this bottle's condition. Base neck, slightly raised cork, slight seepage. Oporto bottled EWR import.

• Went to the cellar to open an older port and came across this bottle with no label and unable to see the cork. To my surprise it was a Dow '55 that I did not inventory. I will drink this over the next week or two as a glass a night is all I need. The color is clean and a vibrant dark rose. The wine is not showing a lot of age, instead wonderful flavor and the taste is on the palate after 60 seconds, smooth and I am licking my lips. Oh my, wish I had a couple of more.

For The Love of Port

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    12/7/2013, (See more on RJonWine.com...)

(Dow Porto Vintage) Bricked light medium cherry red color with ruby lights and light tan meniscus; oxidized, dirty, VA, tart orange nose; not as bad on palate as nose would indicate, but attenuated, cherry, cherry syrup, ripe raspberry palate; medium finish

NOTE: Some content is property of For The Love of Port and RJonWine.com.