1. jcasey555

2. WineKnurd

WineKnurd

3. segurosusa

segurosusa

• This was classic Brunello with many miles to go. Very interesting nose Wish I had more.

• Oh. My. Goodness. WOW! My wife wasn't feeling well and I was grilling rack of lamb and wanted a nice complement to it, but didn't want to open too nice a bottle, but I guess I screwed up by opening this...almost two years since last try and this has aged far better than I ever could have hoped for! Heavy rich cherry and red berries with lightly-scorched Italian earth and a nuanced wet cedary-leathery tannic finish heightened by porcini. Full-bodied but polite. Evidence of age: bricking beautifully and a great deal of coffee-grounds sediment fell out of the bottle upon opening. Awesome! If bottle age improves this even more, it will simply be an embarrassment of riches! If I had a time machine, I think I could sell my whole cellar and replace it with a thousand bottles of this, and die a happy man! I bought this at under USD$50/btl and couldn't be happier!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• 6th Wedding Anniversary at Primal. Plenty of rich cherry and raspberry, like a pastry filling, with hints of earthiness on the palate and a cedary-leathery tannic finish. Some nice savory spice components from the oak in there as well, a little thyme and clove. 14.5% abv but balanced nicely with the rich fruit and plenty of tannic structure to keep things from getting thin. Or looked at another way, the alcohol helps to soften the tannic edge and allow for a pretty seamless transition across your palate. Acidity on the lower side for a BdM, chalk it up to the hot vintage; despite all of this Il Poggione put together a great Riserva from this vineyard!

Style & Quality: A. My wine of the night though the wife preferred the more elegantly aged 2003 Fronsac. Checks off all the right boxes for a great wine- balance, palate development, great length and finish. Why not an A+? Acidity and complexity just not quite there for me.

Value: A. The normale is usually $80 in my market so I am plenty grateful for the $60 WTSO price delivered on this gem Riserva from a vintage with issues.

Overall: A.

• See prior review

• This has put on considerable weight since the last time I tried it. Delicious bright cherry mixed with savoury dried porcini and minerality, all wrapped up with still palpable tannin. A real beauty and unexpectedly excellent showing.

• By Antonio Galloni
    New Releases from Montalcino (Apr 2010), (See more on Vinous...)

(Il Poggione Brunello Di Montalcino Riserva Vigna Paganelli) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    2004 Brunello di Montalcino: A Vintage Full of Surprises (Jun 2009), (See more on Vinous...)