• A friend had this hiding in the back of his cellar. Even though if a Zinfandel is going to age, Ridge is the one, we barely caught this one in time. He decanted with one of those that spray on the sides of the decanters, and that may have been too much. We expect the Spring mountain stuff to be full of backbone, but this one was decidedly delicate. It broke down pretty quick. What we got was pure aged fruit, with a bunch of those secondary flavors, especially caramel, blueberry pie, and black licorice. Still loved it for what was in the bottle, hoping some air would release the luscious goodness, We had to imagine the veracity of the fruit and wish we popped the cork last year, but still enjoyed it to the last drop.

• Color is dark garnet to the rim. Nose shows briary blackberry, raspberry, and tar. On the palate, chunky, tarry, blackberry and spice mingle with an element of chocolate and tar. Finish is medium in length. Enjoyable, not profound.

• Pretty underwhelming bottle of zin. No inherent flaws, just didn't have the stuffing or even the depth of fruit I seek in a Ridge zin. Medium bodied and monolithic with some black fruit. Could it be the remnants of my head cold? Maybe, but I don't think so.

• Very good body on this wine with a nose of berries, leather, and coffee. The palate echoes blackberries, cherries, adds spice, and a coffee that comes and goes. Probably overwhelmed by a somewhat raw alcohol presence. For me it's too early for this wine. I'll pick up two bottles at this price and try it again next year. The coffee should be fully 'brewed' by then!

• A disappointing effort from Ridge. None of the interesting nose or mouth that I have come to love from Ridge.