Community Tasting Notes (10) Median Score: 86 points

• Tasted during a Wine advocate event - A matter of taste. I am not an expert on Tokay. Dark yellow, nose of quince and botrytis. I found this a bit sweet on the palate but not out of whack.

• Medium amber color. Nose opens with anisette, some caramel, honey and molasses. Almost reminds me of a licorice laced tawny port with honey, balsamic vinegar and molasses. Very syrupy and way too sweet for my taste. Hard to imagine finding pleasure from such a wine.There are so many excellent Tokays both Australian Style and the Hungarian style Tokaji at this price point. Even a new or old world style Tawny would be more enjoyable and more balanced. Would not recommend under any circumstances. This winemaker makes some great reds. Expected better. Want my money back. Day 2, Nose even more astringent. while it mellowed slightly, it still is quite bitter, harsh and overly to syrupy and sweet. Day 4: continued to mellow. I would actually say it has evolved to being drinkable. The harsh balsamic note was gone. It is more integrated and comes across like a sipping wine. Almost like a liquor. Would not be bad with a cigar. In fairness to the winery, we are raising our score from 70-80. Perhaps this should be marketed as a wine that will improve with age, or the bottle should state it should be opened a few days before consuming. Day 6, left opened to long. Time to clean the drain. Guess this wine may be appealing to some. I will take a pass on future purchases while continuing to enjoy Dutschke reds.

• Aromas of brown sugar and molasses. Similar flavors on the palate. Very viscous and syrup like. I really like the flavors but the finish gets real hot. 18% alcohol and you feel every bit of it.

• Not sure what I think about this wine. Like others have said, quite sweet, I would say too much so. Has some port like qualities to it but those seem to be way out of balance. Even at $12 I will not be buying this again.

• Quite acceptable tokay with good viscosity and some of the distinctive cold tea/fishoil flavours. Would perhaps be better with a little bit more acidity. Not in the same league as the betters ones from Rutherglen though.
    Aussie tokay has nothing in common with hungarian tokaji, its a fortified wine usually blended from different vintages. Suits caramel/toffee based desserts that would be too sweet to pair with other types of dessert wine.

James Halliday Australian Wine Companion

NOTE: Some content is property of James Halliday Australian Wine Companion.