1. soyhead

2. photo

prasm

3. Mike Dildine

Mike Dildine

• Opened last night and finished over dinner. I'll say this bottle drank better than the one 2 months earlier, and didn't exhibit the boozy note of that bottle. However, this bottle did drink with the same more forward qualities, with strawberry and cherry jam fruit. The acidity is low and given all of this pulled together, I still maintain my view that this vintage of Wentzel is a drink now, to capture the pure but more forward fruit. I got one bottle left and I'll drink it this year.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• I have been following this wine each year since 11. I was lucky enough to buy a case. While I agree Well's 09s are on average riper, and a bit more fruit forward, this wine is special to me over all his other pinots that year. It has become much more integrated over the last year, and has become a very balance expression of anderson valley and copain in a warm year. Perhaps my favorite copain to date.

• Book Club - HB (Red Table - Huntington Beach, CA): Blind. Guessed cali pinot and had no idea on the producer but was chasing somebody that uses while cluster like Rhys. Dark color and burg nose but the alcohol is showing through. Ripe cherry fruit flavor, stem notes. Good stuff. Heat on the finish. What's the ABV? 13.7 I completely missed the mark on this one, there's no whole cluster but where does the stem notes come from? The grapes? The oak? And what causes the heat to be revealed on a lower ABV?

• February '15 Bookclub--Hosted by SPK (wines tasted blind) (Red Table--Huntington Beach, CA): Tasted blind. As I swirled this wine in the glass, tasted the flavors, it felt like Anderson Valley to me but the higher ripeness level kept getting in the way. Ultimately, I landed with 2009 Copain, calling it Monument Tree, which was a close guess. The reason I landed with '09 is that I have found that to be a year for Copain that has been riper than I tend to prefer these days. As we talked about this wine around the table while it was still bagged, I guessed at an ABV around 14.5 to 14.8, which was off about a point, as the wine I believe was labeled at 13.7%. For Wells and the new era style, this is about as high as I think he would want the wines to go. Riper styled charred raspberry and black cherry flavors, with just a little apple hanging around to give a clue as to the AV fruit. And a few of us, me included, we thought there might be some stem in here, as there is a stalky note but I do believe this vintage was all de-stemmed. A touch of heat too on the aromatic and also some crushed rock in the palate. Not bad, and what seems to really for me help the '09 Copain pinots is to make sure they are drank with a light chill to reign in the vintage.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• nose - berry liqueur, licorice, sweet vanilla
    mouth - very pure red fruit, nicely clean, good acidity, nice tannins, all in balance. an excellent wine

Burghound

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2011, IWC Issue #156, (See more on Vinous...)

(Copain Wine Cellars Pinot Noir Wentzel Vineyard Anderson Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

View From the Cellar

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    6/18/2011, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 92 points

(Copain Pinot Noir Wentzel Vineyard) Nice cherry, raspberry, lifted nose; tasty, medium bodied, tart cherry, tart raspberry palate with lift; medium-plus finish 92+ points
  • By Richard Jennings
    4/2/2011, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 92 points

(Copain Pinot Noir Wentzel Vineyard) Medium dark cherry red color with pale meniscus; lovely ripe raspberry, rich cherry nose with a light sense of sandalwood; tasty, poised, rounded, raspberry, cherry palate with well integrated sandalwood oak and near medium acidity; medium-plus finish 92+ points

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and Burghound and View From the Cellar and RJonWine.com.