1. mdedrick

mdedrick

2. RandyOnie

RandyOnie

• Holding up well. Very aromatic. Tannins are super smooth....so drink up.

• Very rich and smells wonderful. Standing up well with pizza.

• with a Filet, Mashed and Broccoli

• Open 2 nights, listed alcohol of 14.8%. Tasted tonight, of course what else, with garlic bread, and oh also some brown rice with seasoned chicken. When I opened this wine a few days ago, I recall telling my wife, "this reminds me of the Pride wines, has that milk chocolate note". That aspects has since settled down for the most part, although I do like the residual amount of chocolate that remains in the finish, and with this being a 2009, it doesn't surprise me that some influence like that would be here now. As for the other components of this wine, it is quite different than the set of 2009 Novy SLH-based wines I drank through earlier this month, as this Simpson shows the signature of warmer climate syrah: dark fruit, silky texture, unctuous and kind of slutty, really. This is just a fleshy and flashier wine than anything SLH could be (and BTW, what SLH should never be). You'll also find some iron in this wine, some chocolate cherry notes and if I'll say this, if you told served this to me blind, it could veer me into thinking Calistoga petite. There is some acidity woven in here, that folds around the red fruit note but overall, this is a darker edged, sexier side of syrah. I don't see a lot of structure here so I would call this an early drinker, offer a window of 2012-2014.

The Rhone Report

• By Antonio Galloni
    Exploring California's Central Coast (Aug 2011), (See more on Vinous...)

(Novy Family Winery Syrah Simpson Dry Creek) Subscribe to see review text.

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and Vinous.