1. kenv

2. budman

budman

3. mxpbuy

mxpbuy

• As I mentioned 2 years ago, I like this vintage. Still a big wine, though. I love the asphalt, black and blue fruit aromas and flavors. Some heat at the finish.

• My last one. Opened about an hour ago, and man, this is of a leaner expression which matches my perception of the wine from a few years back, too. Has the dark SR fruit, but it's almost crunchy-like and chalked with iron and tension. Fortunately, this will be poured about 4 hours from now, and we'll see how it does. More syrah like at this point that what can often be decadence for SR PS.....another 24 hrs of slow ox air and having finished dinner, just enjoying now this wine as a nightcap, so to speak. I know these wines can get big, sometimes even boozy for me, but this 2003 is just fine. At room temp, and I let all the cellar chill fall off this wine and allowed it to get to room temp (70f), there is no booze signature here at all. Lots of dark blackberry, some dark plum and light chocolate, iron and a light brushing of tannin. This is listed at 14.8% on the bottle, and I would offer this is pretty close, maybe a few tenths into 15% but this is not the 'big' kind of SR: dark, lots of fruit but isn't as dense as the bigger years. This is now over 10 years old and is for me drinking great, with some light structure. Make of that what you want and I do like to drink my wines younger, so with that said, I say this is in a nice spot.

• I agree with Ken V. Really dark color. Soft tannins. Young. Tasty. Blackberries and spice, along with dark fruit. This was a drink with 2 hands wine. Loved it!! No rush. Drink or hold.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• Pop and pour. A lot of sediment. Huge spicy blackberry nose. A joy to drink right out of the gate. Big ripe blackberry fruit with lots of spice and tannin. Great balance and harmony. Foie gras brings out even more complexity. Terrific wine.

• Worth waiting for... tons of dark fruit!!!

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2006, IWC Issue #126, (See more on Vinous...)

(Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Peterson Family Vineyard Napa Valley) Subscribe to see review text.