1. DAGwine

DAGwine

• Super earthy and unique taste. Reminds me of a South American wine.

• Took an hour to open up.

• Notes of meat and dark fruit on the nose. Palate has dark fruit, meat, and olives. A nice fruity and savory syrah but lacking complexity and focus.

• I opened this yesterday. In reading my note from about a year and half ago, I would say like then, the structure from then is still evident: it comes through in the finish as a bit of astringence and somewhat coiled up. Along with this structure is a fleshy, grapey syrah with some plump texture, black pepper, dark plum, blue/black fruit, some soil and a good tasty jolt of licorice on the finish, along with the apple-skin like acidity I found in 2011. As I sit more with the wine, some of the Garys' signature lies in the palate of the wine too, like the teriyaki jerky note and the bitter chocolate. This isn't lean cool climate syrah, with blueberry tones, acid and mineral, instead darker, robust yet not out of balance or extracted--I really enjoy this vintage of Garys' from Adam, for the color, palate notes and further potential. And if I found more, as a testament to my note, I would backfill the wine, too. In total, I can still offer that this wine has yet to reach peak, and it's probably 2 years from that, so 2015, with a drink through 2018 window, which is the approach I will take with my last bottle unless I find more.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Expressive nose of black pepper, black raspberry, and oak. More savory notes on the palate with some smoked earth and plums. Medium plus smooth finish.

The Rhone Report

• By Antonio Galloni
    Exploring California's Central Coast (Aug 2011), (See more on Vinous...)

(Novy Family Winery Syrah Garys' Santa Lucia Highlands) Subscribe to see review text.

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    9/20/2011, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 90 points

(Novy Family Wines Syrah Garys' Vineyard) Very dark red violet color; deep, roasted plum, oak nose; plush, soft, roasted plum, oak palate; medium-plus finish

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and Vinous and RJonWine.com.