1. Deux Chevaux

hal0

Winedoctor

• By Chris Kissack
    September 2009, (See more on Winedoctor...) 16+ points

(Chateau Reignac) This vintage is 75% Merlot and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, as declared on the back label, and it has also featured in a Grand Jury Européen tasting in 2007. It wasn't ranked quite so well that time, a mere 27th place (out of 150), although that is still ahead of Latour and Lafite (and I note behind the likes of Belgrave and La Lagune!). I opened and tasted the wine over the course of two evenings; this not being a Jury tasting I didn't have a sommelier to verify the authenticity of my wine, or to measure its serving temperature for me, so I attended to these activities myself! And then once in the glass, I had my first chance to assess this liquid. Spicy oak and sandal wood on the nose, toast and fruitcake elements from the Merlot, very primary and youthful in style. Overall it is attractive, flashy, still oaky. Rather lean on entry though despite this puffed-up nose; with air it fleshes out and it shows a good composition, although it never really puts on enough weight or substance to match the overtly expressed aromatic characteristics. There is a lot of spice, lots of structure too, and looking at the whole package this is impressive for a Bordeaux Supérieur. I do find, however, a bitter edge to the prominent structure, and I find it too evident for this to be rather anything better than 'good'. It does have the potential to show some nice development in bottle though.

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and Winedoctor.