1. Kentw

2. schirri1

3. RGCM Gananda

RGCM Gananda

• The wine has good overall balance, but the finish was rather short and I detected some harshness. 2006 seems slow to age and maybe that is the shortcoming I am finding in this bottle. I will give it some more years and try again. This one was a bit disappointing compared to my expectations for 2006 Brunello.

• Medium to full body, with dark fruit, some leather and tea notes. Dry and mild tannins on the finish. Some differences in notes written by others may reflect bottle variation or cellaring techniques. Not a real complex wine, but quite solid and good drinker at this stage. I think it can improve with a few more years in the cellar.

• Undrinkable, don't wait on it. I poured it down the drain

Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• Black cherry, earth and leather on the nose. Between medium and fulled bodied. My last bottle was 18 months ago and I was quite pleased to see it had evolved almost exactly as I had hoped/predicted. Black cherry upfront which was brighter than I expected and mixed with tart red cherry, plum and darker black fruits behind. Finishes with just enough structure left to give it a nice backbone, provide balance to the fruit and length on the finish with almost no drying notes and tartness coming from the acidity. Nice mix of floral, mineral and leather notes on the finish. Prior bottle was much more tannic while this one has really come into it's own. Let it breathe for at least an hour as when first opened it comes off as much lighter, less complex and less integrated. I felt it showed it's best almost four hours in as it continued to evolve and deepen over that time. While it may be at peak or close, based on how the last 2-3 glasses showed, I think this has several years left at this level. Really pleased with how this wine has turned out.

• I would drink up if I owned any, agree with other CT authors, very light in color for a Brunello. I doubt this wine will improve any more with age

• By Stephen Tanzer
    July/August 2011, IWC Issue #157, (See more on Vinous...)

(Pietranera Brunello di Montalcino) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    2006 Brunello: The Emperorís New Clothes or Historic Vintage? (May 2011), (See more on Vinous...)

(Pietranera Brunello Di Montalcino) Subscribe to see review text.