1. La Cave d'Argent

George C Trader

3. c141heaven

c141heaven

Community Tasting Notes (7) Median Score: 89 points

• Opaque crimson/ruby in color, this Châteauneuf has a moderately intense nose of bramble fruits, cocoa, earth and lavender potpourri. Medium-bodied and freshly acidic, it flaunts similar flavors on the palate. The alcohol (listed as 14.5%) is nicely integrated and the medium-weight tannins are fine-grained. Solid in the middle and concluding with medium length, this is a Châteauneuf well worth its sticker price. It should drink nicely over the next 7-8 years. Drink now-2022.

• Picked up flavors of earth, tobacco, and a little grapefruit. Overall delicious and drinkable needs some time in the glass/decanter. Would pair well with Italian light dishes, such as a good pizza or a light pasta dish.

• Potentially biased by other reviews, I was concerned about drinking. Most people seemed disappointed. However, I was pleasantly surprised. There is a lot of earth, olive, etc. as to be expected - but not that intense (thin) - interesting I also picked up smoke. Reminded me of some of the Bordeaux style South African wines even though different varietals. I would definitely drink this again. Let it open up. The second glass was much better than the first. Finally, this drank like a much older bottle. I would buy this again.

• I must say that I'm not very experienced with CdP wines. I am trying to broaden my horizons in the world of wine and that is what has brought me here. I didn't think this wine was bad at all, but it didn't knock my socks off either. Had this wine received scores of 90+,I probably would've given it a 90. But alas, it has been tarred,feathered, and flogged with a wet noodle, so I'm only scoring it an 89.

• This actually was outdone by three CdRs at the table, and two of those were just adequate CdRs. I wasn't expecting a killer CdP, but Costco usually delivers good value on these sorts of things, and it's a fine vintage. Not this bottle though, as it was pretty dreadful and I wouldn't even pass it around. Checked subsequent days, but no miracle had ensued.

The Rhone Report

• By Josh Raynolds
    January/February 2012, IWC Issue #160, (See more on Vinous...)

(Les Grandes Serres Chateauneuf du Pape Cour des Papes) Subscribe to see review text.

JancisRobinson.com

The Rhone Report

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and Vinous and JancisRobinson.com.