• Allowed to breathe in glass one hour before tasting. Clear deep garnet color. Elegant bouquet of mixed black and red fruit and their liqueurs, anise, fennel, bourbon vanilla, spicy oak, forest floor, hints of tapenade and meat juice. Similar on the palate, dusty dry tannins, full body. Improved with air and held up nicely for four days under vacuum stopper in refrigerator.

• Agree with previous comments. Drinks nice but cannot imagine why I would wait to finish remaining bottles.

• I was quite pleased with this, but I am not sure that a drinking window to 2022 is going to be accurate. I felt that this was very good with a nice balance of fruit and tannin, but I also could taste that it was on the verge of the downhill trend. It is balanced on a razor's edge now, and it was quite good, but the fruit is receding, and I am not sure that it will taste better 3 or 4 years from now. I would drink this over the next 9 - 18 months.

• Deep ruby/red color, showing just the slightest hint of age around the edges. Big, classic cabernet nose, with loads of jammy cherries and blackberries barreling on through. Fruit forward in the mouth, with firm but well integrated tannins rolling over the palate. Evolves into a soft and velvety grape juice. Blackberries are the dominate fruit, with leather, tar, and strong notes of dark chocolate filling out the flavors. Just a tad bit thin on the finish, indicating that the evolution has not yet fully completed. My open up more with a bit of time and air, but I always evaluate the wine straight out of the bottle (just my way of leveling the playing field across tasting notes). A very nice wine indeed, with no doubt at least another 3 to 5 years of life left in it.

• I have to say that Parker got this one wrong and Gary V was spot on. This is an 89 point wine in my opinion. It has a nice dark color, fully bodied. I'm not feeling any elegance with the blend. It's heavy cab to me with oaky flavor. Not a lot of fruit or finesse. Don't get me wrong - it drinks nicely, but I paid $45 and you can't find it less than $60 now. That's just stupid! Happy to say I only bought 2 bottles.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    January/February 2006, IWC Issue #124, (See more on Vinous...)

(Chateau St. Jean Cabernet Sauvignon Cinq Cepages Sonoma County) Subscribe to see review text.

Wine Library TV

• By Gary Vaynerchuk
    California Cabernet Taste Off., Episode #242, 5/24/2007, (See more on Wine Library TV...) 89 points

(CHATEAU ST JEAN CINQ CEPAGES) #2; VaynerPAZZZ; COLOR-dark; NOSE-beautiful, fresh ground pepper mixed w/ green beans, bacon fat, "take a little weiner dog, wrap it pigs-in-the-blanket style w/ bacon, put a lot of pepper on it, grate jalapeno & green peppers on it", beautiful chocolate & vanilla; TASTE-shocked by the enormous amount of Oak, polished, vanilla bean, solid bottle, great structure, beautiful blackberry component, fresh black ground pepper, little too Oaky and shallow for me; RP-92; GV-89

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and Wine Library TV.