1. alanh13

2. Dorset Iain

Dorset Iain

3. Dr AJ

Dr AJ

• Nose is of darker fruit than expected: blackberries and black cherry, almost a hint of Bordeaux cassis, fruit compote, and some maturity, complex and classy. Dense on palate, not at all like Burgundy! Almost like a 10-20 year Bordeaux with mature notes. Very unusual.
    Changes a few minutes later, mature nose dissipates and tighter and darker. Quite alcoholic actually. My first 05 Burgundy, perhaps this makes sense.
    Stood up with ease to a strong mature Westcombe cheddar - it almost laughed at it. The intensity is incredible. This can probably last for years and years, even though I don't think it was designed to? Not really Burgundy though, not sure what to make of this.
    Went well with 70% dark chocolate: together it was like a rich Black Forest gâteau, rich kirsch, alcohol, chocolate, very, very long aftertaste: it could also be the chocolate but I can still taste this one minute later.
    I'm in total confusion though: it has nothing I love about Burgundy (no delicacy or feminity or sweet red cherry) yet it prods me to make me think it's better than any Burgundy I've had before. I think I now know what all the fuss is about over 2005. And this does what the best wine should often do: leave more questions than answers...

• A good straightforward Gevrey from a very fine vintage. Deep, dense ruby colour. Simple but strong bouquet: lots of ripe, polished Pinot fruit, plus earth, violets, oak-spice and pepper notes. To taste, very full-flavoured and round, with an abundance of sweet spice and healthy, plump cherry flavours flowing across the palate, but lacking finesse or complexity. Medium-short finish.