1. Bruce 1er

Bruce 1er

• Rich, luscious, with briar and great fruit (black currants, black berries, raspberries), with excellent structure and grip in the finish (dusty tannins). Still quite young; could easily be vibrant for another 3 or 4 years. I let this wine stand upright for about two weeks, and it decanted clear of a lot of tannins that had been thrown off over the years. Purchased in April 2006 for $89.95, which was substantial for a CA Syrah.

• Appreciate my wine pal Rob Winn bringing this to dinner last night. It saw no decant and since last night it has been sitting under cork with about 1/2 bottle remaining. Drinking today at about 65 degrees. Listed alc is 14.6%. I was surprised I have no previous notes on this wine so 10 years past vintage, I finally got to writing one up, I guess. This is old era Copain, yet given the alc level, I could argue this is not nearly as big as what Paso made through the mid-decade, with dark fruit and big alcs, stuff I no longer enjoy nor buy. What's here? To some extent, this smells like a zin, reflecting a raisiny, bramble quality, along with white flower aromatics. There's is a touch of heat in the bouquet too. When the fruit rolls through the wine, it shows lots of blackberry, blueberry, again more zin like, what I often have found with mid-decade CA syrah that get too ripe for my tastes. Where that intersection to zin also is maintained is in the acidity, that the better zins can reflect against the richer fruit (think top flight Carlisle). In this Copain, I find the same comparison. That acidity, along with iron really maintains brightness in the wine and if you poured this for me blind, you'd fool me on syrah. In the finish, there is still astringence and acid. This isn't the template for Copain syrah now and even with the last vintages of Copain James Berry, 08 and 09, this would not be like those two wines. Yet, this wine is not falling apart, nor is it getting cocktail like with dark fruit and booze. While not in the mode of syrah I chase now, this is still interersting, with the blue and black fruits, a look into an era for CA that is long gone from my own cellar but I enjoy the memory through this wine. Aging window? You can drink this now, although I suspect there ain't much of it around anymore and not sure what more aging will gain the wine so hit it now and enjoy it while all the pieces are in step.

• This one was unique. It had massive blackberry fruit on the nose, boysenberry pie like a young napa cab. Then it was very dry cherry on the midpallet with a quick, searing acidity and dusty, cocoa powder tannins. On day two the earth came out in the nose with the same structure as day 1. Very interesting.

• sat opened for about a 1/2 hour before drinking , and drank over 2 hours. nose of meat, dark fruit, spice, pepper. had great balance on the palate with fruit, pepper, and herb with a nice medium length finish and some soft tannin. the nose definitely reminded of me of a cote rotie. if i had more would definitely let age a few more years, or have let it open for a little longer before drinking.

• Make sure that you decant this wine for at least an hour. Don't make the same mistake I made doing a pop and pour. I got a lot of olive upon opening but this seemed to blow off over the hour we consumed the whole bottle. Evolved into a much more balanced bottle that I really liked

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2005, IWC Issue #120, (See more on Vinous...)

(Copain Wines Syrah James Berry Vineyard Paso Robles) Subscribe to see review text.