• Nice wine and definitely consumed too early. That being said, for $70 I expected more. Had some nice flavors, but finished a bit sweet for my taste.

• 100% whole cluster, no new wood. This really shows what site expression can do to a wine, as we tasted this alongside the 2010 Horseshoe syrah and these wines are very different, yet they are 300 yards apart, made the same damn way. Bacon fat nose, decadence, and I made the comment to Kevin Harvey about alcohol/heat here, yet he says 12.8%, almost identical to that of the Horseshoe. Has the fruit character similar to that of the 2011 Alesia Alder Springs, that blue core, with the purple flowers. Exotic nose, and this same 'exotic' note I also found in the 2011 Skyline pinot, which for me is again site signature. Iron in the aromatic, again like the Alder. But, when you get into the fruit, it's funny enough pulled back, not decadent at all. Cooked meat, mineral and blue/black in tone. So, for the 2010 syrahs, I guess you will have to decide which expression you like.....I like them both, as with each year, will buy both.

• Tasting at Rhys; 4/5/2012-4/11/2012 (Rhys Vineyards): Light stem nose, gorgeous reserved blue/blackberry fruit, face powder, structured more around acidity than tannins. Nice syrah.

• April 2012 Rhys Visit--Taste The 2010s (Rhys Estate (At The Winery)): Like with the 2010 Horseshoe syrah, had to add this to the database, so keep in context this is an early look at a young wine. Made exactly like the Horseshoe--100% whole cluster and 0% new wood, with 12.8% listed alc. Unlike the Horseshoe, no pepper here. Instead, blue and purple flower, with blue fruit. Also, a maple note, which I might attribute to new wood or ripe fruit but neither of those are at play here. Tangy with a sweeter edge. At this stage, I prefer the 2010 Horseshoe as it's more rugged and savory. I'll also note that this was the last wine I tasted during the visit so my palate was growing a bit tired. I do believe I captured the wine pretty closely, though.

• By Antonio Galloni
    Santa Cruz Mountains: California’s Best Kept Secret (Jul 2013), (See more on Vinous...)

(Rhys Syrah Skyline Vineyard Santa Cruz Mountains) Subscribe to see review text.

View From the Cellar

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2013, IWC Issue #168, (See more on Vinous...)

(Rhys Vineyards Syrah Skyline Vineyard Vineyard Santa Cruz Mountains) Subscribe to see review text.

The Rhone Report

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and View From the Cellar and The Rhone Report.