1. jrockman

2. dsgris

dsgris

3. Magnum Bill

Magnum Bill

• Followed this bottle for two days open. It was tough to define until the very end, when I feel it finally showed its true character. Early on, it was really crunchy and tight, some green meany-ness and unruly tannins. But the fruit and bouquet are nice, so you keep pushing through, trying to draw out a more satisfying impression. After subjecting the second half of the bottle to vigorous aeration, abuse, and even some cold and heat shock, I've got the wine I want. Smoother, more cohesive, and still there's a feeling it has more to give as it matures. I think I'll wait at least a year on my remaining bottles.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (2)

• I popped my first one of these last night, had nice nose of spice and red fruits right away which was probably due to the syrah. I let the wine breath for about 30 minutes in the glass. I think the mourvedre took over the wine, the nose faded to be mostly earthy and smoke and small hints of fruit, eventually the nose disappeared all together. On the palate, the wine was great. It had a nice medium body with soft tannins with acid that seemed to be an after thought on the back end of each sip. I have raspberry and dark cherries with nice accenting spices. Had this we pizza and it paired very well. I wish the wine had a better nose on it, but otherwise the wine was pretty good. Not a great QPR.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Waited a while to see if it improved over the last time I drank one of these, the answer is no. Same notes as last time apply. Will gift the other bottle of this wine to clear out room in the cellar.

• Inky dark purple, nose of brambles and blueberries. Dry, light tart fruit, pleasantly medium body with some mineral, bitter tannins. Iron, roast beef, nice balance which should improve with more open time. 90 on the PnP.
    Night two, a funky, earthy note on the nose, steely mineral with the tart fruit, mid between restrained and fruity. The high acid keeps it from being jammy, but could use a bit more tannins for balance. With some more open time, it's showing a lot better, so give it some time and air.
    Finishing off tonight and it is doing well, beautiful on day three. I think I will let my remaining bottle rest for another year.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Decanted one hour.
    I really like this Rhone blend! Maybe that's because the grenache takes a back seat to the mourvedre and syrah. Heck, at 5% it's in the trunk of the car, where it belongs, IMO.
    Lovely nose of berries and earth. I sensed the 14.5% alcohol that others mentioned, but it wasnt overwhelming. I wish I had more.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• By Stephen Tanzer
    November/December 2012, IWC Issue #165, (See more on Vinous...)

(Maison Bleue Winery Graviere Upland Vineyard Snipes Mountain) Subscribe to see review text.

The Rhone Report

Washington Wine Report

• By Sean Sullivan
    5/10/2012, (See more on Washington Wine Report...) ***** points

(Maison Bleue Graviere Red Wine Upland Vineyard Snipes Mountain) Locked up tightly right now but chock full of white pepper, mineral, floral notes, herbal and ‘sauvage’ notes. The palate is richly flavored with stunning purity of fruit. Exquisitely balanced and light on its feet, with a textured feel full of white pepper, savory notes, and dark fruit flavors. Almost impossible to say where the wine ends and the finish begins, this wine hangs on as long as you want to count. As seamless as they come, this is a completely stunning wine that should lay down in the cellar for decades to come. On the high (high) side of the scale, this is as fine a Southern Rhone blend as the state has produced to date and as good a wine as I have sampled this year. 75% Mourvedre, 20% Syrah, 5% Grenache. 245 cases produced. Sample provided by winery.

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and The Rhone Report and Washington Wine Report.