1. winot

View From the Cellar

Vintage Tastings

• By John Kapon
    Mondays, Tuesdays, 5/1/2011 96 points

(Cristal) The company of the Good Doctor is always enjoyable, as he has a taste for the finer things, and is a master of not only wine, but also food. He is always atop my Hong Kong list of people to see, as I know a special meal will surely follow. Since it was Monday, and he was amidst a world tour of travel, we kept it light with only four bottles for the four of us, beginning with a 1990 Cristal. Well, it was Lady Agah who selected the ’90, as I was a few minutes late, and she waits for no man. I quickly caught up with the ’90, enjoying its butterscotchy, hedonistic style. It was delicious and sexy, flirting with sweet but keeping it dry. It was rich and long, still young but showing secondary flavors. It has always been a fun and outgoing Cristal, from a vintage that will last (96).
  • By John Kapon
    Saturday Night in the City, 1/9/2008 95 points

(Cristal) The most important details to work out were what to drink, and the wine list at Veritas is always a good place to begin. Both being the Champagne lovers that we are, 1990 Cristal was the aperitif of choice. I have been drinking a lot of Cristal recently, which is always a sign of a good holiday season. The 1990 was gorgeous, although a touch sweet. It had lots of yellow fruits, golden raisins and a spoonful of sugar that was right on the border of acceptable but didn’t cross it. An overall toasty and nutty personality encased this tasty and hedonistic bubbly, which still retained the hallmark Cristal elegance. Rich, warm, approachable yet still fresh and ascending, I found this to be another excellent Cristal but felt more impressed by recent ‘89s and ‘96s

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    9/28/2003, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 98 points

(Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut) From a double magnum: Yeasty nose with nutty flavors—almond, hazelnut—and sweet citrus notes; rich, remarkably concentrated champagne, with a mid-palate of lemon meringue, hazelnut, apricot and tangerine; great depth of flavor and a very long finish. Fortunately the huge bottle contained enough of the wonderful stuff that I was able to enjoy a few glasses, allowing me to thoroughly confirm my first impressions. 98+ pts.

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com and Vinous and View From the Cellar and Vintage Tastings and RJonWine.com.