1. paydon9

2. PSUSteve

PSUSteve

3. markswine

markswine

• Blackberries, olive, smoke nose. Medium bodied, savory flavors of olive, brine, blackberry, pepper and a medium length finish of pepper and blackberry held up by a nice acidic spine. Could use another couple years for tannins to soften, but don't be shy about opening now if you have more than one.

• Coravin'd and ready to drink. I don't often say that about a Cabot wine. Fresh black fruit that was alive layered with meat and some smoke.

Day 2 - this seemed to have even a deeper level of of spice, bramble and smoke. Maybe some air would help this.

• Love Cabot. Only buy it on Berserkers day, but I love the stuff. I'm not sure there is a better Cali Syrah value than Cabot. Not overly fruit forward. In fact, not fruit forward at all. Good stuff. I don't think I'd identify this as Cali. Also has some funk on it.

• Drinking nicely although a touch thin. Nice cherry, hint of oak and sous bois. Tannins not present.

• I just don't really like California Syrah, and I think its as simple as that. It had a pleasant spice note too it, but it had too much cedary oak and was too ripe. None of the blood-iron-game-olive-lavender that I really love in Syrah, nor even the blackberry juice note one can get in younger or riper French Syrah. Just monolithic California fruit. But it isn't hot, and I think that the spice is nice, and that a Cali-centric palate would really enjoy this wine, it just isn't my style. From this producer my favorite wine remains the single vintage Pinot, which was quite nice, but the Syrah is not to my liking.

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    4/28/2012, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 92 points

(Cabot Vineyards Syrah Humboldt County) Very dark red violet color; appealing, bacon fat, smoke nose; smoke, tart black fruit, bacon fat palate; medium-plus finish

NOTE: Some content is property of RJonWine.com.