1. WineGalDT

2. Neecies

Neecies

3. RandyOnie

RandyOnie

• Improved with air, but tannins are tighter/grittier than they were a year ago and the opulent Northern Rhone characteristics I remember not quite on display. Basically, the wine's grumpy right now. Let it sleep!

• Dork blind tasting. Very Rhonish with bacon, rosemary, tar, a hint of barnyard, and sturdy tannins but the sweet fruit and root beer notes suggested it could be California--cool thing was that none of us were sure. Impressive. (Next day, I went and bought half a dozen.) I'm putting this down for 2020 but wouldn't be surprised to get more mileage.

• Two years between bottles, this one here being the last one in my cellar. Honestly, not sure how long this has been open, as my house sitter drank it but left me about 1/4 bottle. I would think open for only a few days but if longer, I would say this held up just fine. It's hot as piss here right now so I put a chill on this to get it to the right optimal temp. Aromatics show purple flowers, lavender, mint. The palate shows Garys' terroir of steak sauce, dark fruit, tar and some garrigue, along with jerky. Just a hint of something barnyardy here but it's very faint to me and just adds a note of character. Kind of a dense finish, with some dark fruit that has a little edge to it. All in, this is drinking great, aside from knowing how long it was open.

• a little more tannin than I remember last time. A very good syrah, especially for the vintage. Just as good, if not better on day 2.

• Good aromatics. Does not show heat. Medium acididity. Not much tannin.

• By Josh Raynolds
    November/December 2012, IWC Issue #165, (See more on Vinous...)

(Novy Cellars Syrah Garys' Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    California's Central Coast: Better than Ever (Aug 2012), (See more on Vinous...)

(Novy Family Winery Syrah Garys' Santa Lucia Highlands) Subscribe to see review text.