1. GlenviewGSW

2. rickrsm

rickrsm

3. tomherer

tomherer

• This is a big wine but also displays a well balanced structure and finish. I would not say this has a lot of nuance but it is Grenache and it delivers on the fruit paste, jammy backbone that delivers a long and balanced finished. 15.6% alcohol.

• Coming off my first Sanguis experience, which wasn't great. This helps me understand what all the fuss is about. The blend of GSV is artistic. Big gushy cherry and berry fruit up front from the grenache, compact wild berry, herb, and river stone from the syrah, and a full-on floral wrapper from the Viognier. In a great drinking window with balance, polish, elegance, and power. Enamored.

• Let me preface this by saying I am a huge fan of Sanguis. With that being said, this is my least favorite one to date. I decanted for 6 hours at cellar temp before my first glass. The nose was awesome at this point, but the taste was ver muted. I thought maybe it was because it needed to warm up a bit, but this did not help much either. What flavor was there felt disjointed. I took the decanter out of the cellar at the 8 hour mark and had the rest of the bottle from the 9 to 11 hour mark. Hit its sweet spot and was great for glass two and three. Then glass four declined greatly. Would give glass number 1 a score of 88, glass 2 and 3 a 94, and glass 4 an 86. Hopefully a couple more years in the bottle will make the other bottle I have work a bit better.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Reminds me of the Torrin we tried last week in that it's good, but maybe just not quite for us. Decanted for 5-6 hrs before drinking, nursed it over the next few. Some strawberry, cherry, a little charcoal and spice. Just slightly out of balance for us with the alcohol riding on top, especially the nose where it's tough to pick many individual components out. Certainly well made, and we're enjoying it, but I think for us, we can find others we enjoy better.

• Sanguis Dinner with Mattias Pippig (Cowboy Ciao): Deep ruby color. Meaty, barbacued red fruit aromatics with some interesting earthiness. Tastes of blackberry, cherry, anise, tobacco, black pepper, charcoal, and mint. Medium bodied. Good freshness and reasonably well balanced. Earthy finish with nice complexity.

• By Josh Raynolds
    November/December 2013, IWC Issue #171, (See more on Vinous...)

(Sanguis Levity Red Wine Santa Barbara County) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    California's Central Coast: Better than Ever (Aug 2012), (See more on Vinous...)

(Sanguis Levity California) Subscribe to see review text.

The Rhone Report

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    3/1/2014, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 91 points

(Sanguis Levity) Saturated, very dark red violet color; aromatic, lifted, tar, dried berry, tart black fruit, tarragon nose with a suggestion of smoke; rich, concentrated, baked black fruit, tar, spice, prune, tarragon palate with integrating oak; could use 1-2 years; long finish (65% Grenache, 32% Syrah, 2% Viognier; 15.6% alcohol; 33 months in 60% new French oak) 91+ points

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and The Rhone Report and RJonWine.com.