1. LakerFan

2. Genghis88

Genghis88

3. Anki Carpentier

Anki Carpentier

• Wineferno Tokyo 2014 (La Rochelle Akasaka (Tokyo)): Have no bearing in my world of wines. Will keep the rest for a long time as the perfumey character of Viognier does nothing for us.

Happy, fruity, well oaked, young inviting nose. Chardonnay aromas on perfume speed.
    Per os: Low level acids and a small, very charming, bitter twist in the finish. Flowery, but less perfumed than the nose. Violets. Intense, but short and rather non-complex.
    Typical for the grape.
    Wife: Frown.

• Two bitter old guys drinking for smiles (Restaurant Tani in Gaienmae (Tokyo)): I'm not a huge fan of Viognier. Rich and concentrated in the same way as a better Beaujolais would be. Acids prevalent but in the lower domains. Has a waxy mouthfeel. Restrained aromatics and some umpa-umpa, but still doesn't do it for me. A rather pricey *meh* as I knew what was in the glass but expected a whole lot more...

Detta vin är mer av ett återhållet, men fortf parfymerat *meh* som ingen av oss två farbröder började dansa av. Hade det varit rött, så kunde man nog beskriva det som en intensivt rik Beaujolais. Kanske blir rikare med några år på rygg? Poletten har inte ramlat ned vad gäller Viognier.

• Best viognier ever.It's nearly perfect. Why I said that? Viognier is one of the most difficult grapes to handle. If not ripe, no fragrance get out; If overripe, the stewed peach and overty bitterness will drive you crazy. This La Doriane is really an exception, it possesses both crystal-like purity and montrachet-like richness. In the nose, violet, nectarine,apricot, lemon, safran, and surprisingly, well integrated oaky flavour. The touch is not as oliy as most of the viogniers, and the acidity backbone make the whole feeling harmonious. And the finish is quite long. Everybody liked this La Doriane.

• Clean, clear, light golden yellow, full bodied
    Honey-suckle, petrol, melon,
    Lemon tarts, yeasty, long finish.
    Sweet honey, elderflower through the middle.

This is a sophisticated, well balanced, finely tuned wine. PW's fave white.

GO GERMANY!!!!!! WORLD CUP OF FUTBALL/SOCCER

Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Comments (4)

• My first Condrieu. Coravin'd about 6 oz. Medium gold color. Enticing aromas of honeysuckle, pear, apricot, melon, pineapple, spice, perfume. But not quite the pronounced aromatics that I expected. Full bodied, medium acidity, high alcohol (14.6%). It takes a while for me to get into this wine. With a little salty minerality, oily, perfumey, high alcohol on the palate, my initial reaction was not favorable. After starting off in a montrachet glass (bigger bowl, wider rim), I switched to regular chardonnay glass. That helped a little, maybe accentuating the acidity some. The alcohol is less noticeable after a while (when the mouth is numb...), and the wine did grow on me. The finish lasts forever with the salty minerality and spice. I've had CA Viogniers that I've enjoyed more, and I prefer Chenin or Albarino to all of them at this point. But this is a well-structured wine, and I'll give myself a little more time to see if I grow to appreciate it more.

JancisRobinson.com

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and JancisRobinson.com.