1. madalyn

madalyn

2. HeartbreakRidge

HeartbreakRidge

• I've really enjoyed 2011 OPN for their elegance, and this wine is no different in this regard. Decanted and left open for almost 5 hours. Perfumed nose of sour cherries/cranberries, raspberries, spice, sandalwood, some floral notes, and touch of coffee/earth. This was just seductive on the nose. This fruit comes from Maresh vineyard, but it seems very different in style from the 2011 Arterberry Maresh from the same vineyard (that was more high-toned and candied than this wine, which seemed to push in a darker direction). Intense acidity that commands your attention, but manages to just avoid being tart. With a swish, you can tell there is some structure in the background, but there is no perceptible tannin. The finish was rather long: the acidity comes in waves that make your mouth water and runs you through the cycles of flavor again.

I thought this was brilliant. I enjoyed this probably as much as the 2011 Cameron Clos Electrique, but I think this is the more subtle and delicate of the two wines. I think I liked this better than the 2011 Arteberry Maresh from the estate vineyard, but this definitely has a lot in common with that wine. I thought this was drinking wonderfully (the tasting pour was excellent as well; the main reason this spent 5 hours in the decanter is that stuff came up, and I think it would be fine with a quick decant as well).

Day 2: We had a couple of glasses of this left, and we let it get back up to proper temperature. This seemed more earthy today, with more herbaceous notes, and a hint of watermelon. Good evolution, and still beautiful acidity.

• 2011, not a great year

• Classy, elegant, beautiful, balanced

Those are the words, red fruit beautiful cranberry tart and yet fruity mysterious lovely

• Decanted for about an hour. I thought the fruit came through fairly late. A bit more earth and spice early on. Nice balance throughout. I look forward to trying another bottle in about 6-12 months.

• No decant

• By Josh Raynolds
    July/August 2013, IWC Issue #169, (See more on Vinous...)

(Scott Paul Wine Cellars Pinot Noir Audrey Dundee Hills) Subscribe to see review text.