1. ozziewine

2. Anthony Lombardi

Anthony Lombardi

3. WI WineLover

WI WineLover

• After the first time drinking this without much aeration, I decided to give it 4 hours of air the second time around. I cannot believe what a difference that makes! It is so much smoother. It has some nice fruit, but is not real complex nor does it possess a tremendous depth of flavor...but I like it!
    When I bought this at Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa in April, 2013, they said "give it time"...and they weren't kidding. Antonio Galloni says "wait until 2016...". I would agree with that, but would add, don't expect a big jammy Zin.
    It could just be me (always a possibility!), but this strikes me more as a light Cabernet. I like the big, jammy, peppery Zins and I would not apply those descriptors to this. It's a more restrained, graceful Zin.
    In short: if drinking now, aerate for at least four hours; if possible, hold for another 1-2 years; don't expect a jammy zin; it's more like a Cab/Zin blend.
    Very nice wine, just not memorable and not what I was expecting.

• Slow ox'd around 45 minutes in the bottle. Dark violet color. The nose shows brambly fruit along with loads of spicy character. Great depth of aromatic intensity. Full bodied, delicious Zinfandel. Great concentration. Blue & black fruit with a coating mouthfeel. Spiciness is present here as well. Lovely mid palate weight & bright acidity really balances the ample fruit. Supple tannins add good textural complexity. A huge hit with the friends we shared this with over dinner.

• This is my kind of zin. Crunchy, brambly red fruit, as though you picked it off a wild bush in the Sierras, lots of mineral and acid, no heaviness or creaminess. Carlisle's 2011s may go down as some of the best zins of all time, if you share my love for that style of zin.

• Consistent with previous note. Great zin!

• Fresh picked wild berries. Red raspberry liquor, with pipe smoke (very fragrant). A lighter Carlisle VS typical zin line up. Paired well with mussels marinara.

• By Antonio Galloni
    Sonoma...A Thrill a Minute (Jul 2013), (See more on Vinous...)

(Carlisle Zinfandel Dupratt Vineyard Mendocino Ridge) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2013, IWC Issue #168, (See more on Vinous...)

(Carlisle Winery Zinfandel DuPratt Vineyard Mendocino Ridge) Subscribe to see review text.