1. LightFoot

LightFoot

• I bought this wine in '98 and have held it in my cellar since then. I think 2 cases in all. I've been slowly drinking it since then. Bought some '94 montelena at the same time. I believe I'm all out of both. The Fay definitely outlasted the montelena although both have been fantastic all along. The Fay still has some nice fruit remnants with a mellowed but discernable acidic finish. Nice ruby edges and faint stewed prunes as one would hope for from a fine old dame like this.

• Realy surprised by all the low ratings from 2012... wine was sleeping? I HAVE seen it before. Just opened this seconds ago and the nose is quite fabulous. More extravagantly barnyardy than typical Stag's Leap, more like Oakville, which very well may be as I don't know where FAY comes from. The nose is getting more stunning between each sentence typed. Fruit is definitely showing secondary characteristics- of course- but the palate reads more 1997 or even '99 than '94. Glad I have several of these left. Gads it's now showing a hint of Martha's Vineyard. Great juice.

EDIT: THANKS and cheers to chcook and bestdamncab for the comments and elucidation- it's not always easy to find out which appellations some vineyards occupy tho in this case it was slightly inexcusable laziness on my part!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (2)

• 2009 Red Burgundy, a first look: Another blind "cellar raid" wine for the night. Excellent aged cabernet with some unusual notes that made some of us wonder what it was. Dark fruits, herbal, round and powerful. An excellent wine that is aging well.

• Dissappointing... clearly past it's best

• Enjoyable, medium weight, quite Bordeaux-like in character, fruit drying out a bit, ready to drink