1. Eric Guido

Eric Guido

• Very much as per previous notes on this wine.
    Modern styled Amarone, a bit over average, but still not my type of wine.
    Too much of everything, and with 2009 being such a warm and (over) ripe vintage, it really reflects in wines like this, when
    I’m not a fan of Veneto wines, especially not passito method made wines, as I miss all transparency, finesse and balance, and find them too much and way overdone, sweet and alcoholic.
    (83– 85?)

• Blind tasted. Moderate plus nose has red cherry, fresh red plum, herbs, white pepper. Moderate plus alcohol (actually high) finish and complexity. Moderate tannins. I guessed Grenache, Amarone not really on my blind radar yet.

• Again, Veneto in general, and especially Amarone wines are not my style at all.
    However, this particular producer feels a bit more modern in style, and perhaps a bit less extreme compared to others?
    Still, especially in a vintage as 2009, this feels overdone and over extracted, and simply too much to suite my palate.
    Almost a year since I had a bottle of this, and it has not improved, rather perhaps gone the other way, as I found the last bottles more clean and fruity & less heavy and overdone.
    Works okay with food.

• Drink during a wine tasting and no formal notes. Dried fruits, dried plums.

• The nose came across as fruity, but savory, with black cherry followed by animal musk, floral perfumes and herbal tones. On the palate, it was bright with a medium body, showing tart cherry, dark chocolate, saline minerals and a medicinal herbal note. The finish was long, with a hint of heat showing bitter cherry. I often enjoy this wine, yet the 2009, as good as it is, seems to lack the energy of past vintages.