Vintage Tastings

• By John Kapon
    Beijing, 5/23/2008 90? points

(Penfolds Grange) The first vintage of Grange was the 1977 Penfolds Grange, which was very oaky in the nose. 91% Shiraz, 9% Cab and eighteen months in 100% American new oak were the staples of this vintage, although Peter said about the Grange recipe that ‘nothing was pre-ordained, nothing formulized, but there is a template.’ This was a vintage that had blown me away about three or so years ago, only to disappoint me on the following occasions. This was again a bit disappointing given that one magical bottle I had with the Colonel in LA. Aromas of tea followed the oak, and it did sweeten out a bit to reveal dark black cherry fruit and eucalyptus. Overall, I found it a bit square and unforgiving, but I was still getting my sea legs back.
  • By John Kapon
    Los Angeles Quarterly, 10/12/2005 96 points

(Penfolds Grange) Perhaps lost in the shadow of 1976, this was a stunning Grange. Ron quickly told me how '78 and '72 are also sleeper Granges of the Seventies. I was quite impressed by its nose. Aromas of primary cola, black cherry and classic Grange menthol/eucalyptus with secondary bacon and earth, the '77 had a gorgeous sweetness to it and a confectioners' edge in its nose. There were great, beefy flavors on its oily, balanced, thick and long palate with lots of alcohol, spice and mint blending in. The wine was still powerful and youthful at age 28 and deserves to be mentioned alongside the '76 and '71

NOTE: Some content is property of Vintage Tastings.