1. katiecook01

katiecook01

• Dark orange brown color. In the bouquet a mature wine with tangerine, orange, honey, caramel and almonds. On the palate the tangerine and caramel dominate. Apricots and minerals as well. Beautiful balance between sweetness and acidity. A nice and mature Yquem with good complexity. Will probably be still interesting a decade from now, but will definitely not improve anymore. (Based upon the bottle we had tonight)

• Eight (Not Angry) Men Drinking Great Wine (Paris Club - Chicago IL): Very dark color. Moderately sweet, well balanced, good intensity. Caramel elements worked well with brulee served for dessert.

• Stunning! A brilliant wine so rich in flavours almost rancio like, with a brilliant effortless ability to just glide across the palate setting off the tastebuds like fireworks. An awesome experience.

• This bottle was purchased on release and stored in a somewhat questionable passive cellar by the restaurant (a small Wisconsin supper club), who didn't know that they had it until looking for a different bottle for me. We negotiated a price of $100 for it. The bottle was a top shoulder fill, with the wine being a dark mahogany color both in the bottle and in the glass. There was a bit of tartness that blew off after about 15 minutes. Great flavors of burnt sugar, such as a heavily crusted creme brulee top, along with vanilla notes on back end. It really was like creme brulee in a glass. Great at the end of the meal but would have rocked foie gras. Clearly it will not improve from additional ageing, but it's still a very good drink and a testament to how well Sauternes will age even in mediocre vintages.

• My father was gifted this bottle on release. It remained stored in the wine rack of our 70 degree home for most of its life until one fateful day. I was visiting my parents when I noticed the entire collection of wines from the bar wine rack were missing. My dad said he decided to throw everything out since "it was all bad anyway". I rescued this bottle along with a few top 60s Bordeaux and took them home, much to the dismay of my parents. Fast forward some 20 yrs later and a dinner with close friends and my father and brother and an opportunity to try this wine. Well, I knew this wasn't in great condition, perhaps even over the hill. Ullage was mid shoulder, the wine was the color of dark amber, almost tawney in depth. First I smelled, then I tasted. OK, it was drinkable with aromas better than the flavors, but it was alive. As one friend noted, "it tastes live PX sherry' and indeed it did. Very caramel like flavors, with aromas of stewed stone fruits. One can only wonder what a good bottle would taste like at 46 yrs old. In any case, it was a triumph to open the bottle in the manner it was, with my father in attendance.