• As much as I hate to say this, as I am a rabid Carlisle person, I had to dump this out. Before dinner on Saturday, I pulled this wine to give it a test drive, check for TCA. I had planned to pair it with coq au vin, which at Marche Moderne here in the OC is just a smashing good dish and the usual Carlisle style would have paired great to it. When I opened it Saturday, I tasted it and it just came off as a bit dull, sweet and very little syrah typicity. So, reluctantly I put the cork back in the bottle and tossed it back into the cellar, instead going to a 2007 Lucia Susan's Hill syrah, which showed rock solid. Tonight, I went back to the cellar and pulled the Carlisle again out, removed the cork and tasted it. Same result: dull, showing nothing syrah and more like a zin, I dumped it out. I also drank a 2004 Sonoma County zin recently, which was better but really came off as big and ripe. I'll go to war for Mike Officer, as flat out love his syrahs as I think they are some of the best in CA, but with these two 2004s, they do not seem to aging that well.

• Decanted an hour. Fragrant nose of blackberry jam with cocoa and vanilla and hint of camphor and meat. Lush fruit, oak, acidity balanced on the palate with a little heat on the finish.

• Nice wine. A great QPR, even at the $10 over retail I picked it up for. Lots of stuffing in this wine.Intense color, red meat, blueberries, a touch of oak. Popped and poured and this was singing. Lots of structure and fruit in the wine. Would think it could go for another few years.

• Drinking very nice. Picked 3 up today and had to pop one. Some garrigue, dried meat, black/ blue fruit. long finish. very nice syrah for the $$.

• Dark fruit and iodine. Enjoyed