1. jbro

3. SteveHoch

• Dark garnet, opaque. Not much aroma, one-dimensional. The palate is austere, lacks much fruit, is tannic and not charming. The aftertaste is the same. I know Melka's wines are highly rated, but I have always found them lacking fruit and charm. I don't think more time will improve it, so I will drink my final bottle before too long.

• Still very dark garnet and opaque. Moderately pronounced complex cabernet aromas of cassis and blackberries, with toasty French oak. However, as with most Melka wines, the flavors are more dominated by tannin than fruit, lacking the charm and elegance they should have, especially for a wine that, at 13 years, should be at its peak. I don't think further aging will change that balance. Drink this up before it loses the fruit it has. Because they are too tannic for the fruit, I stopped buying Melka wines some years ago..

• Still dark garnet, opaque. Moderate aroma of cassis, but some pruniness. Austere on the palate, not a lot of fruit. I think it's beyond its peak and should be drunk.

• Last of six. If I learned anything it's that you cannot pop and pour this now twelve year old wine. It needs serious air to become drinkable. Deep purple out of the bottle. Nose of dark fruit, wet saddle leather, tincture of iodine, heavyweight fruit on the palate--with other Bordeaux-like complexity. The finish is lengthy. This wine should only be consumed with food.

• Doing very well at this point. Didn't need that much time and seemed to be ready to go right out of the bottle. A treat for me.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2006, IWC Issue #126, (See more on Vinous...)

(Melka Wines Metisse Proprietary Red Napa Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

Wine Library TV

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and Wine Library TV.