• This is indeed a special bottle. Never has the vintage characteristics of 2004 been more evident. Dark, quite concentrated, fruit with tons of herbs and green paprika. Flavours that many dislike, but which I have less problems with and find interesting. At the end of the day though, you may not need a case of this.

• Decanted, then poured immediately. An unscrupulous sommelier talked me into ordering this wine. If we had to use our real names on this site, I wouldn't admit to buying it. Right out of the decanter the wine offered sweet, ripe, bright red fruit, and nothing else. Nothing Burdungian about it -- it was a dead ringer for a Brewer-Clifton pinot, or maybe a Williams-Selyem, only watered down and not as good. The bottle lasted about an hour and a half or so on our table. In that time, the wine evolved a bit, becoming even more watered down, and developing kind of a nondescript, weak earthiness that might have provided a bit of needed balance, had the wine not been so watery as to be barely suitable for cooking at that point. This was one of the most overpriced wines I've ever had the misfortune to pay for. There are plenty of $20 California pinots that are superior realizations of a similar style. I suppose we did drink the wine young, but I can't imagine there's anything worthwhile in its future. I won't get fooled on this one again.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    March/April 2006, IWC Issue #125, (See more on Vinous...)

(Domaine Sylvain Cathiard Chambolle Musigny Les Clos de l'Orme) Subscribe to see review text.

NOTE: Some content is property of and Vinous and Burghound.