1. Uglypinga

2. metcellar

metcellar

3. jarjarbinx99

jarjarbinx99

• For me Grange is and continues to be the most wonderful wine we drink. I always wish we had more. There's this wonderful tightrope it walks where everything is elegant and integrated and even dare I saw subtle (at least for an aussie) and yet there are so many flavors and it's constantly evolving and hard to keep up. Paired with a filet of beef and if I were to have a last meal this is the one I'd sign up for. The '82 is right in the drinking window and while at times I think it could almost be young I think it is prob time to drink up.

• Grange continues to be my king of wines, but we drank a lot that competed this night. An '82 Bryant and an '89 Cos d'Estornal. This wine started really tight and not quite ready for prime time. There was a bit of acidity that didn't add to the wine and just not pulled together. It got better every minute we waited and maybe if we'd waited more it would have gotten to a real peak. As it was, it was wonderful. Love this wine.

• By far my favorite wine of the night. Cigar box, truffles, underbrush on the nose. A hint of mint as well. The palate showed some mint, wet leaves, light blueberries and some black pepper. Very long and amazingly compelling.

• Penfolds Tasting with 5 vintages of Grange and a bunch more (Downtown Cleveland): Wow. What a beautiful wine. I opened it at 8am and it smelled good. At noon, it had a raisinette note which had me worrying. By 9 p.m. when we got to it, it was great. Purple in color showing little signs of age, perhaps a bit less intense than the 98 in color. The nose is great and deep with black raspberries, blueberries, smoke, spice and even some bacon fat. The palate is accessible. Complex and layered. Softer while not soft. A beguiling wine. Hard to think it is 32 years old. No sign of being past peak, but I have to assume it won't get better from here, but should hold for a while. Tannins are integrated. Gorgeous wine.

• Decanted, lots of muddy sediment in the bottle; surprisingly mediocre cork compared to the one of Leoville Las Cases decanted and drunk alongside
    Saturated garnet color, on nose sweet fruit in the Australian way and some camphor/eucalyptus; aroma quite reticent and subdued.
    On palate some cherries, red fruit, some tannin at the end. While the tannins will carry the wine for at least another 5 years I feel that they will eventually dry out the wine and overwhelm the fruit left.
    At this point a very charming, refined wine.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

JancisRobinson.com

The World of Fine Wine

JancisRobinson.com

Vintage Tastings

• By John Kapon
    Beijing, 5/23/2008 95 points

(Penfolds Grange) The 1982 Penfolds Grange (6% Cab, 19 months oak) Gil found to be ‘a fruitier nature, more the style of Grange.’ There were bright red fruits in the nose and more citricity, and still that eucalyptus glaze in a good way. Its flavors were round and spicy, with red fruits and confectioners’ notes with a leathery spank, and excellent acidity.

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    2/5/2008, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 94 points

(Penfolds Grange) Dark red color with pale meniscus and floating sediment; nice blueberry, berry and vanilla nose; lovely, blueberry, berry syrup, rich palate with sap; long finish

Vintage Tastings

• By John Kapon
    Dom Perignon, 12 Angry Men, Auction Lunch and a Holiday Party, 12/13/2004 93 points

(Grange) showed itself to be very oaky and creamy with lots of eucalyptus. The wine was not Chris. style, who said that he had never drunk a glass of Grange in his life . he has tasted plenty but never found the desire to drink it. The wine had some maple flavors and good length, but it did not show as well as other memories I have of this wine

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com and The World of Fine Wine and Vintage Tastings and RJonWine.com.