1. DrEdwardo

2. peterpan2015

3. dissler

• Decanted one hour before serving. Dark ruby colour. Cedar-cassis nose. Focused cassis, licorice, new leather, vanilla. Sweet, dusty tannins. Still very much in its infancy.

• Nice pairing with the first game dish of the season. Tannins have nicely melted. Still to enjoy for many years to come in my opinion.

• Amazing, I would have guessed the wine is 5y younger which speaks for the quality. The tannins are remarkable present still. No bad oxidation at all. A very accomplished wine. Depth, elegance, perfectly balanced.

• Only needed one short olfactory pass over the first pour to know I could click "I like it," evoking spontaneous yelps of "that's what I'm talking about," and "thank you Sir, I'll have another"-no wait, that's not where I want this to go.

To me, great (affordable) left bank Bordeaux doesn't explode from the glass in a scud missile assault of fruit and alcoholic heat, it expresses itself in successive waves of classic cabernet driven impressions, each building and complementing the others in a holistic, integrated fashion. So far, all I've done is smell this wine once and I know.

At age 11 we find ripe red plum and currant fruit, tobacco, cedar, and graphite all just essentially hanging there for the taking. I wanted to confirm the lack of heat, and the label says 13%, which of course may not be wholly accurate, but I'm going to give it the benefit of a doubt.

Before tasting, I checked the color, and it's still opaque at the center, a dark red that starts a noticeable bricking towards the rim, suggesting some level of maturity.

The first sip is surprisingly smooth, the tannins fully resolved, and it spreads in a mouth-coating blanket over the palate. A big hit of coffee perceptible now that I missed on the nose. With air, everything is intensifying, except perhaps the fruit, which suddenly has taken a back seat. I'm going to wait for a while and come back...

Now a half hour in and it's back on plan, pretty fruit, smooth, soft, plush and very drinkable, tannins becoming a bit dusty towards the finish. I'm about to dive into an herb grilled sirloin and I think they'll become fast friends. Net net, this one isn't going to hide her charms, they are on display for all to see.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (5)

• Luftet 1 time i karaffel. Kraftig med preg av lakris, solbær, cassis, kaffe, mm. I munnen er den ikke like ekspressiv, mye samme elementene, men mer dempet. Bra lengde. Drikker ok, men har fremdeles oppside de neste 5 årene.

View From the Cellar

View From the Cellar

• By Chris Kissack
    November 2009, (See more on Winedoctor...) 17.5+ points

(Chateau Lagrange St Julien) Exuberant and ripe berry fruit on the nose here, nuances of smoke, but overall the suggestion of gently fat, fleshy fruit. Good substance on the palate, again soft and a little loosely held together, but we have here flesh, rather firm and crunchy tannins and good vibrant acidity. I like the character presented on the nose and there are some appealingly bright characteristics present on the palate too. This has a lot of appeal and will be excellent given time.

• By Richard Jennings
    2/16/2008, (See more on 91 points

(Château Lagrange (St. Julien)) Dark cherry red color; toasty oak and espresso nose; big, plum, cassis and toast palate with good structure; medium finish (65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 28% Merlot, 7% Petit Verdot)
  • By Richard Jennings
    1/18/2008, (See more on 89 points

(Château Lagrange (St. Julien)) Dark red violet color; nice, herbal cassis nose; approachable plum and cassis palate, but lacks complexity; medium finish

• By Chris Kissack
    October 2007, (See more on Winedoctor...) 17+ points

(Chateau Lagrange St Julien) A really attractive, lifted style on the nose here, with a touch of bright cherry and cranberry fruit. It has a crunchy but ripe character that I really admire. The style is firm, elegant and crisply framed, with less depth of texture and substance than some but there is still plenty of material here. There is ripeness and a good defining acidity. Nice style.

NOTE: Some content is property of and View From the Cellar and Vinous and Winedoctor and