• Nothing light about this wine. Concentrated plum and berry, spice and mineral, with some pretty hefty tannins.

• A rather light-bodied Cote-Rotie that lacks in complexity. Possibly starting to shut down. Quite some oak. Not sure it will really improve with time. Others seem to like it more than I did.

• My first Cote Rotie! I bought a few of these @ about $40 after reading the WA and Parker's quote: "I was also blown away by the 2002s produced by Chapoutier, some of which are among the top wines of this challenging vintage." I realize that this is a bit of orphan vintage, but based upon the quote I figured, "what the heck."

Well, while the body and texture spoken of in Parker's note on the 2003 is not there to the degree I imagine the 2003 contains, it is very nice. The color is a deep purple, just very slightly clear on the edge. The nose definitely exhibits licorice, earth and herbs. On the palate it is still full-bodied and silky with some tannins on the finish. Fresh berry flavors one might expect in a Cali Syrah are also present. All in all, despite my infanticide and poor choice of vintage, this is quite pleasing right out of the bottle. It should cellar well for a few years, and at the price, I am happy with the purchase. More later.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    January/Feburary 2005, IWC Issue #118, (See more on Vinous...)

(Maison Chapoutier Cote Rotie La Mordoree) Subscribe to see review text.