1. AndrewSGHall

AndrewSGHall

• En fuego. Dark and rich brooding fruit with a serious bass line and all kinds of funky, animal and earth harmonies. Incredible texture. Just gorgeous.

• Blind Tasting 1986-1997 Mourvedres (Rich & Peggy's House, Los Altos, CA): Mint chocolate chip ice cream on the nose. "Last Chance" nailed it in his/her note below. Light to medium bodied with medium acidity. Dark raspberry fruit, milk chocolate and mint. Interesting but strange. (my 7th, group's 4th)

• 9 Blind Mourvedre: The nose of this wine smelled like mint chocolate chip ice cream. The green kind. Wow - this was a really interesting nose. After that I really had no idea what to expect on the palate, and this was our first wine of the blind section of the tasting... The palate had some spicy dark berry flavors, but the eucalyptus flavor was the central thing that I noticed. I also would never have guessed that this wine was 19 years old. It seemed much fresher than that. This was a very interesting wine for me, I had never enjoyed a minty/eucalyptus flavor prior to this wine, but even before the evening was done, I knew that I would enjoy it from this point forward. A real eye opener for me.

• 2 reviews below are fantastic. Possibly some VA. So lush and soft in the best sense of both. No way is this over the hill to my taste. It may be peaking. Suggests BBQ, sauted green beans, eucalyptus and sage. Very Thackery to me, more like the Pleiades than any other of his.

100% Mouvedre from Sean. This was the final vintage of this, til now. He says he may rekindle it.

• Served double blind, ironically following a 1996 Tempier Bandol Migoua that I had just contributed (blinded to the group). The '90 Taurus was more impressive than the Tempier. In fact, I was blown away by it. My gut was telling me it wasn't French, but nothing was leading me to the New World. I guessed it was Italian. Deep, penetrating nose of dried fruits, spice, sous-bois and meat. Broad and expansive on the palate, with suave texture and terrific balance. Meat, dark / dried fruits and spice. Fantastic stuff.