1. Gunman

2. Mjr0108

Mjr0108

3. mikecoxtx

mikecoxtx

• What a grand old dame. This was the last of my Justin Meyer bottlings, so it gets a couple extra points for nostalgia. Cork crumbled, so we decanted through a screen to clear debris. Well-aged, mature California cab. Very pretty. Took about an hour for the tannins and acid to settle into place and let the wine shine in harmony. I wish I could put 20 years on all my California cabs. Just beautiful; still showing well.

• At home with my Chicken Toscana "under a brick". Splash decanted and drank over 90 minutes. Benefits from a little air time but this bottle didnt seem to need a big decant.

Consistent with prior notes on flavor profile. Medium weigth and body - layered finish. Finish seemed to have less then last bottle. Would say this wine is past its peak but still very nice.

• This bottle was definitely past its prime, but still drinkable. But it won huge points for nostalgia.

• Mele Kalikimaka! What a great way to celebrate Christmas, prime rib and a well,aged cab! Opened magnum bottle at 1 pm to make sure it was even drinkable. the pop of the was cork promising. The condition of cork was perfect! Blackish, deep burgundy stain on the bottom with minimal crystallization sparkle in the light. A sniff from the bottle further added to the anticipation, no offending odors. The entire stamped name and logo were revealed, untouched by any purple seepage. This is a quality cork!! Poured a sample in the wine room at 57 degrees. Color was as expected, bright magenta moving toward the sun as far as the color wheel goes but plenty of life. Slight bricking on the edge but more life than expected. Magnum bottle, purchased from the winery and stored properly all these years have paid off. allowing the wine to warm up, along with my nose and ears, we started to prepare the prime rib. Tasting along the way. On the nose, Sweet plum ,ripe currants and An herbal note welcome me to start this journey. On the palate the tannins surprise me, while unexpected they are making a statement. There may be more life in this bottle, but it is so good at this moment. Fast forward 5 hours after the meal is over, the tannins have faded into the background and only lend structure to the fruit and some sense of texture to the mouthfeel. We are now just enjoying fruit and a great wine buzz. We are in a sweet bing cherry stage as we try to hold on to the last few ounces in our goblets. This wine was enjoyed by all of us over the course of the evening. It evolved and changed numerous times. There is still life here, but as humans all age differently based on how they cared for themselves I would guess that so it goes with a bottle of wine. Some of these 95 Alexander valley cabs may be lifeless or way over the hill but then there are some as this bottle demonstrates, that age is only a number and the experience of the day is what reigns supreme. This wine was a special Christmas gift. Merry Christmas to all and to all a great Cabernet night!

• Pretty good showing for Silver Joke (I kid, I kid). Classic California cab. Sweet. Crowd pleaser.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2000, IWC Issue #90, (See more on Vinous...)

(Silver Oak Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 1999, IWC Issue #84, (See more on Vinous...)