1. kietkopelli

2. R Grouse

R Grouse

3. Seafoam Manor

Seafoam Manor

• Clearly the WOTN at the WineBerserkers offline at Di Fara's pizza in Brooklyn. Great nose. This was a really nice wine. No notes taken.

• Overpowering. Massive. No subtleties. Modern style, with some balance. Not for me.

• This is my first Saxum with no additional bottles in the cellar. Whilst this wine is fantastic there are similar wines from France and Australia with similar profile for less money.

Base on the blend and 15.8% alcohol content we knew this will be a BIGGGG wine so we decanted it for 45 mins while we mingled so I missed the spirtz that everyone talked about. On the nose the fruit was explosive with a decent amount of floral scents and a bit of mushroomy funk. In the mouth it's loaded with fruit and flowers, I would have never guessed it has 85% Syrah from the absence of peppery notes. I can go on about the tasting notes but most of the folks have covered them here.

I paid $75 for this wine which seemed like a bargain base on retail pricing but I think it's a fair price given the French and Australian offerings at $80 and under. I would not buy the Saxum at $100 and above but would pick up cases if $50 or under.

• So it turns out that the Coravin can kill spritz. This was the final glass and change from a Coravined bottle which was much more resolved than the previous glasses. Very dark wine for 11 years old, to the point that you would have no indicator of age at all. On the palate this is dominated by rich blackberry and blueberry notes with big spice, then more tertiary leather and tobacco notes on the finish. With more time in the glass, a raspberry liquor flavor, with a slight medicinal tone, started to emerge. The integration of the very high alcohol is probably the greatest achievement with this wine. I think this will hang on for a while, but I don't think this will improve with age.

• The spritz was back!

• By Stephen Tanzer
    September/October 2006, IWC Issue #128, (See more on Vinous...)

(Saxum Winery Syrah James Berry Vineyard Bone Rock Paso Robles) Subscribe to see review text.

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    8/16/2008, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 88 points

(Saxum Bone Rock James Berry Vineyard) Funky carbonic maceration, black fruit and prune juice nose; carbonic maceration, black fruit, fig and prune palate with drying medium finish

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and RJonWine.com.