• A deep colour, mid red to garnet; rich, spicy fruit, quite a lot of oak and some alcoholic heat. Quite full and concentrated on the palate, with a streak of acidity that should keep it fresh for some years yet.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Double decanted and drank over the course of the evening. Liquorice, kirsch and plum with beautiful cedar wafting from the glass. The length is extreme and the wine matches the nose and evolves from hour to hour in its complexity. For a 19 year old wine it never looks like fading throughout the 4 hour period and it's clearly at the top of its game with no rush to consume. A sparkling example of one of the worlds great wines - just superb.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Fruity, great nose, on the night then 1998 was better

• Souper de 50 ans la maison: Un nez très eucalyptus, menthol, épicé, qui trahit son origine.
    La bouche est riche et gourmande, mais avec une belle finesse en finale
    Ample et gourmand, c'est délicieux, mais pas un grand vin à mon sens.
    93 pts

48 heures plus tard, je révise encore ma note car le vin a développé une précision beaucoup plus grande, il me parait plus frais. 95

• Had to go 100 pts on this one as after 1,525 tasting notes on CT since 3/24/06 I have not had a better wine. Debated giving it 99 but this wine had no flaws so how can I not score it perfect? Of course it was my first and only Grange so possibly the '98 or '04 would have rated higher if I had the privilege to taste such vintages but alas this was all my modest cellar contained.

I had sourced this on 6/1/05 for a bargain $165 and when I tagged it I wrote "for Retirement" on the bottle not quite knowing at that time when the day would come and stuffed it away in the wine cooler. Fast forward 10 years and a month and retirement day has arrived. Walked out after 30+ years without my laptop and company phone and I could have floated across the parking lot!

I knew this needed a serious decant so opened it at 3pm and tried a first sip and the tannins let themselves be known so into the decanter it went. Finally around 6:30 time for the first pour with my wife into our Riedel glasses and a joyous clink of the glasses on the deck. Color was a dark crimson with some bricking in the color, very unlike young Aussie' Shriaz. Swirling brought out aromas of cigar box, forest, dried fruit. First sip was mouth coating with cranberries, earthy notes, allspice.
    After we got to "know" the wine it exhibited many personalities. A times it had the elegance of an aged Bordeaux, other times it had the power of a Napa Cab. Kind of odd was that it never had the extracted Shiraz flavor found in many wines from down under. No this was all about class and balance. The finish would go on and on for 50-60 seconds (that was a benefit as it made every sip last and slowed down the consumption of this marvelous wine)! Paired it with prime filet and fresh corn and baked potato, the perfect accompaniment for this bottle.
    I told my wife that it would have been awesome if I had a bigger wine budget in 2005 and bought all 3 bottles my local wine shop had because it would be fascinating to try this one in 5 then 10 years. You could just tell it had the stuffing to last. A remarkable wine on a remarkable day in our lives. Cheers!

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (5)

JancisRobinson.com

The World of Fine Wine

JancisRobinson.com

James Halliday Australian Wine Companion

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    2/14/2003, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 95 points

(Penfolds Grange) Rich, blackberry nose; rich, berries, blackberries for days palate with firm tannins; long finish

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com and The World of Fine Wine and Vinous and James Halliday Australian Wine Companion and RJonWine.com.